3800 Whats everyone think of this idea?

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Ok I thought about losing the resonator and just running one muffler in its place. I'm not really sure how much room there is there though because i haven't really looked at the exhaust much yet. But instead of running a y-pipe after it could I just use a muffler like this?
82_1_b.JPG

Its for an f body and the inlets and outlets are both 2 1/2 " , (which i'm not sure of the size coming from the cat) Would that be even possible to run like that? Or is there just not the space? Or is it just a bad idea or to big of piping even if there is room? I just want a different type of exhaust than what everyone else is running.

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
SIDE EXHAUST !!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Actually im still working on that 1, get ur own idea!!!

JK, Actually i think that might just work, depending on where you mount it, but you gotta work on the curviture of piping. More curve=more pressure= torque. But you cant have too much curve, then ur just killing time/ material/ your car. The str8er the pipe, the more flow=hp top end, loss torque, but sacrifices, what ever you wanna do. Good to see you're planning this out before you do it, and looking at something different than everyone. Im still working on the design for my side pipes.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I was considering the same thing a lil back. But instead of that muffler, look at something more like this. http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14641 . Its a magnaflow 6" round muffler. This one is for a 3" exhaust. It is 30" long. You should be able to put it where the resonator is right now, without any problems. Then just run piping back. At least that I was my idea.

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Why do you want to run one muffler? What benefit do you see to this?

If thats the case look into a regal cat back system.

A member on here a while back had a single muffler set up exiting thru the rear and he used a regal cat back set up.that was a bit modded..

Just run straight pie from the cat back to the mufflers. to remove the resonator.

I just dont see the sense or reasoning behind a single muffler app..

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Its a decent idea, but there really is no need for that. Eliminating the y puts more of a restriction on your setup. I would run a 2.5" back to the y and leave the rest stock if I were you. Instead I have 3" almost to the y. Some dont recomend it, but I liked the gains I saw from it and lost little if no low end torque.

Maybe put a glasspack in the place of your resonator to add a little noise.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Well I was just think about that muffler just because I think it would give a unique sound with 2 outlets on one rather then splitting to a y after the muffler. I guess I jsut dont want the same system as everyone else.

Alex will one muffler take perfomance away or something? I'm just a newb looking to have a different exhaust than most gps.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The y gives the exhaust gas a better way to exit the system than leaving it from one pipe. The idea wasnt bad, I just dont know if it is doable. Maybe get a quote from an exhaust shop that can lift your car up and see what kind of room you have to work with.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Well I was planning on going to an exhaust shop and seeing what they say about something like that. But I wanted to check what everyone here thought first. See if I was just thinking of something that absolutely wouldn't work or something. Whats jim's address again? I may try to go talk to him on wednesday to see what he thinks.

The muffler doesn't have to be that exact muffler that was just a pic I used as an example btw. So he may have a muffler that would fit with the dual outlets.

Any thoughts on why this might be a bad idea are more than welcome.

And LP good luck with the side exhaust I'm interested to see what that turns out looking like.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Well i'll give you my thoughts on it. If you drop this in where the res. is then you have about 5 foot of two 2.5 exhaust pipes running the length of the car.Lots of extra weight. You knock some of the weight back off with running only one muffler instead of 2 but not enough. Second I really don't think there is going to be enough room to run two 2.5 inch pipes let alone the muffler. As for an 1 in and 2 out option I dont' think anything your looking at would work or be small enough. If looking for something differant you could run a round muffler up front where the res. is like posted above and then at the y split the pipe off to 2 1/4 since you have a gt that should be plently of air movement. Do 2.5 in and out from the round muffler. Just an idea may be really loud though. not sure how well those round mufflers kill the sound. I know Nick put the 30 in. round muffler in his regal with two mufflers and love's the way it sounds cause it doesn't drone and is somewhat quite. But is the baddest sounding Regal I have seen to date.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info