3800 Five Cylinders???

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Today I went and looked at a '97 GTP with 81k miles on it. The car was in perfect shape and the interior was flawless. The only problem was when I took it for a test drive the Serve Engine Light came on when I started the car. I asked the guy the reason being and he stated that the light "just" came on in the last week and he took it to a mechanic and was told that the PCM is only sending out codes to 5 of the 6 cylinders. They told him that he needed to go to a Pontiac Dealer and have them reprogram the PCM and this would solve the problem.

First, would reprogramming the PCM take care of this problem?

Second, what damage is being done to the engine while 1 cylinder is not functioning.
When we sat in idle the car idled real rough...

The guy seemed really honest about it and said he is having it fixed immediately...

-Rich

The guy said that he took it to a mechanic and the mechanic checked the spark plugs and spark plug wires to see if it was misfireing. The mechanic said it was not misfireing at all. The mechanic could not scan the car, so he told him to take it to the dealership to get it all worked out.

I was misfireing for awhile. But car did not shake like how this car was sitting at idle. It was a crazy shake.

Zack

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by zeez gtp@Feb 15 2004, 07:38 PM
The guy said that he took it to a mechanic and the mechanic checked the spark plugs and spark plug wires to see if it was misfireing. The mechanic said it was not misfireing at all. The mechanic could not scan the car, so he told him to take it to the dealership to get it all worked out.

I was misfireing for awhile. But car did not shake like how this car was sitting at idle. It was a crazy shake.

Zack
there is always different misfires theres the ones that misfire right when you start the car up and you can feel it and then there is when you have it in drive and idled and there is when you are flooring on the gas and the engine jumps... could of been one of those.. I could be wrong though.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
well.. if he's saying it's not a big deal and just needs the PCM flashed... I would ask him to do that before purchasing the car... also if you know anyone by you w/autotap... have them bring it and read the SES light to see what's going on... either that or ask the guy to go w/you to a pontiac dealership for an estimate...

unless you're getting the car for a song I'd pass it up... it's one thing to buy a used car expecting it'll prolly have issues... but it's another buying a used car knowing it has issues...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info