3800 alternator question ...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
How many watts do you run? I have one 400 and one 1000 watt peak power amps in my car and I run an Optima yellow top. I get dimming when I crank it up. It should be a power problem. Especially if you have your stock battery. The alternator is the way to go. You can bandage the problem with a bigger battery or a capacitor but those have limited effects. I plan on replacing my alternator sometime in the next few months.

John

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
I don't think pontiac makes real good altinators. I blew the one on my 99 Grand Am GT and i just blew the one on my GTP and both times the amp i was running for the subs was only 600Watts. So what i suggest you do is either run another battery just for the subs, or do what i'm doing and go on justamps.com and buy a capacitor for the system. Those things are great and they really help.

Jim

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Originally posted by emersonhart13@Feb 14 2004, 05:38 PM
I plan on replacing my alternator sometime in the next few months.

John
what are you going to replace it with ?

i was looking at altenators on ebay just for the fun of it , and seen a 160 amp alt. for like 169.00 , seems a little high ... iam trying to find out what the amperage of our stockers are ... no luck ...

the funny thing is i have a grand cherokee as well and it does the same exact thing . <_<

Feb 21, 2008
The stock alternator is 110 amps, (on the 02's anyway). Most of the alternators sold on eBay are rebuilt alternators, which aren't bad if know and trust the person who rebuilt it. Also you should really upgrade your battery and your cables, (at least to 2awg power and ground wire, depending on the amount of power your pushing). I have an Ohio Generator 160 amp alternator and (2) 1 farad digital capacitors and my lights still dim when the bass hits B) so you may not be able to completely eliminate the dimming lights but you should definately upgrade the above listed parts before you ruin your electrical system. Hope this helps!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info