3800 Blitzu

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
FWIW stock vs stock I believe the F-Body is slightly faster (few tenths). This is in part due to the weight differences (I believe the GTO is 200 or so pounds heavier) and also the Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).

IRS absorbs more power than a Live Axle (like the F-Body's have)

However since the Motor is basically the same (not sure if they changed the Camshaft again in it) the GTO should have the same upgradability power wise as F-Body's and vettes... if anything the GTO will probably outperform an F-Body through any twisties as the IRS will help alot there....

BLK00GTP

Regular
Jan 20, 2009
Schaumburg
Long Live the Rawwww RWD V8 Powered GTO

wild5.jpg

Sorry I had to :ph34r: :unsure: :eek: :lol:

Originally posted by horist@Feb 13 2004, 11:38 AM
FWIW stock vs stock I believe the F-Body is slightly faster (few tenths). This is in part due to the weight differences (I believe the GTO is 200 or so pounds heavier) and also the Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).

However since the Motor is basically the same (not sure if they changed the Camshaft again in it) the GTO should have the same upgradability power wise as F-Body's and vettes... if anything the GTO will probably outperform an F-Body through any twisties as the IRS will help alot there....
Horist is right here. The F bodies do benefit from being lighter, and no IRS. I can't remember but I think only the WS6 and SS should have the upperhand... I think the regular F bodies only had 305 HP maybe 320? I'm not sure, I think Horist can answer this better.

Either way, I am sill searching for some good modifications... I found a few that should get me right back to where my GT was.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by blitzu+Feb 13 2004, 08:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blitzu @ Feb 13 2004, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-horist@Feb 13 2004, 11:38 AM
FWIW stock vs stock I believe the F-Body is slightly faster (few tenths).  This is in part due to the weight differences (I believe the GTO is 200 or so pounds heavier) and also the Independent Rear Suspension (IRS).

Horist is right here. The F bodies do benefit from being lighter, and no IRS. I can't remember but I think only the WS6 and SS should have the upperhand... I think the regular F bodies only had 305 HP maybe 320? I'm not sure, I think Horist can answer this better.

Either way, I am sill searching for some good modifications... I found a few that should get me right back to where my GT was. [/b][/quote]
well first off.. for modifications :) www.ls1speed.com ... Lane (CMNTMXR) had his GTO there for a while... dunno if he had work done to it or if it was there for speed to take a look...

but they're good guys... Tom (izzo... owner) is awesome... and their prices are great

regarding the HP in F-Bodys... basically take the numbers GM feeds us and throw them away :)

It boils down to:

Formula/trans am = 305hp for 98-00
WS6 = 320 for 98-00
Firehawk = 325 i *think* ... but not 100% sure for 98-00

in 01-02 they advertised them all as being like 5-10 more...

but realistically... doesn't matter cause they're ALL underrated big time (some bigwigs in GM have stated this as well..)

but really... it doesn't matter... WS6, Formula, Trans Am, Firehawk... they all dyno about the same ... (stock they all dyno between 290-320 rwhp ... firehawks generally are on the top end, WS6 following suit and formula/transam on lower end) ... but the differences are negligable...

If I had to do it all over again I'd have bought a regular trans am and put the hood on myself :) cause I've replaced everything else already that the WS6 package gave me...

Also blitzu... if you have any questions about LS1s feel free to PM me :) I know the motors pretty well inside and out...

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by blitzu@Feb 13 2004, 10:12 PM
I had fun there, and pre ordered their intake. They have a few good ideas so far, I can definetly for see myself going to them in the close future :)
Sweet! yea I was there today picking up my car... since I work in schaumburg they're the easiest to deal with ... and I trust Tom (most important thing)....

by intake i assume you mean just the airbox/lid? or intake manifold? (LSX ???)

Originally posted by Aircal+Feb 13 2004, 11:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aircal @ Feb 13 2004, 11:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-staceyyearsich@Feb 13 2004, 02:30 PM
Is that a photo from our rear view mirror? :eek: :p :D :lol: B) [/b][/quote]
Hehe..

Hey I think I heard your car on the dyno yesterday then... because they were talking about some TA that they just rebuilt the motor and they were tuning it... maybe it was yours??

I just mean CAI, but I have been eyeing that LSX manifold... Im not too sure about it though. Some have said it only gains a few HP, others say 20, either way that is alot of money for 20 HP. I would definetly have to go with the 90mm one though if I do :) Which also mean I would need to fork up another $500 for a 90mm throttle body. That would be a mod that would come an easy second to headers.

I know what you are saying about trusting those guys, there is nothing else that really matters. Look at Joe right now, I had the same problem when I took my car to the same person. Ever since I have been REALLY hesitant to take my cr for any performance work to anyone. That is why I learned to do everything myself. But these guys at Speed Inc. seem really good, and I do trust them I think :)

Time will tell, I will most likey have them install my headers.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by Jamie231@Feb 14 2004, 12:29 AM
I ran a 13.21@108 in my bone stock '02 WS6. Put some Long tube tuned headers on it and have the good ole boys at FLP or LS1 speed inc. tune it! LS1's rock! :p I need to get my vette soon I miss RWD!
Thats pretty good stock time from what I've read. They are advertised to run 13.4 (thats what i've read atleast). But horist already said that they underated them. I just don't think they wanted to admit that the f-bodies were coming that close to their precious vette.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by 98GPGT@Feb 14 2004, 08:22 AM
I just don't think they wanted to admit that the f-bodies were coming that close to their precious vette.
ding ding ding we have a winner :)

Also since the F-Body (especially a Z28) is kinda a poor mans sports car (new z28 is like 24k? not bad for an LS1 powered car) they had to underrate them so insurance companies wouldn't rape everyone... (well.. so they wouldn't violently rape everyone... ) ... and as you said... also because there's no way a measly F-Body could put out equal or close to numbers as a vette...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info