3800 Question about rear header contact w/ PS lines

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
I have TOGs, and after changing my oil I noticed that the rear header has been making contact with the power steering lines that are mounted to the cross member. I've got plenty of clearance at the sway bar, and there is maybe an inch or so between the header and the PS lines. I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to.

Basically my question is whether this is caused by engine movement forward and back, or is there movement up and down some how? I do hear a faint tap when I apply throttle in reverse. But it's hard to say because my suspension (especially up front) has been making clunking/popping noises for several months now. I replaced my stock upper radiator mounts (80k miles on them) and it seems like that helped with the tapping sound in reverse. But again, it's hard to say. I do have a set of poly mounts, but I prefer to only run them on track days.

I'm going up to Pictor's on Sunday, so I'll be able to get a better look then. I was just hoping to get some feedback from some of you. Thanks!!!

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
I've got plenty of clearance at the firewall. I can't comment on the condition of any of the motor mounts except the upper radiator mounts. I have a new set of stock mounts on there right now. Do you know if those who have experienced this problem just put in poly mounts to solve it? I get more vibration then I care to have when using the poly mounts, so if I can avoid having to use them daily, I'd prefer to use the stockers.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

If you have your old ones, you could modify them to test that out. I don't know if you remember what I did with mine, but I welded on a nut and use a set screw to limit it's travel, the vibration is hardly noticeable. If you prep them, I could weld them to try it out, it's pretty easy to do.

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
Yeah I remember how your mounts are set-up Ron. I have a set here that are modified like yours, except I just drilled and tapped the mount instead of welding a nut on. I have access to an Arc welder here at work, but tapping the mount worked just fine. Granted there are only a few threads because the steel is so thin, it seemed to hold up ok. The problem that I'm having with those mounts is now there is quite a bit of slop (the entire bushing is "loose" in the bracket) and when I take out the bolt that is putting tension on the bushing, I'm able to move the bushing around with very little effort. That is why I bought new brackets with bushings. So I have: a set of brackets with poly bushing, the modified brackets with stock bushings, and a new set of brackets with stock bushings.

I just installed the new brackets Tuesday, and the single tap noise I was hearing in reverse seems to have gone away. It may sound stupid, but I'm just not clear if contact is being made when the engine rocks forward or backward, or if there is any up-and-down movement with any of the related components.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• A
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list