3800 Air Temp Mods?

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
If I am thinking of the right thing, then dont use it. What it does is tells your pcm that the air coming in is colder than it actually is. They sell similar items on ebay for 10-20 bucks. I think it may just make your car run rich, and not really give it much hp. But thats if I am thinking of the same thing.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, I'm starting to feel like an expert on this one...Basically it's a resistor. The iat varies resistance with changes in air temperature, SnM made a nice chart on this a while back and is shown below. The computer will add 1.5 degrees timing at 57 F or below. The thing in the summertime with this is that your A/C won't work when the IAT sees teps like that, it needs 70 F or above. I'm into doing many small things to produce power, I think it's worth it, but I only spent less than a buck on a radioshack resistor also.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Feb 10 2004, 01:41 PM
I thought the AC just need IAT of 35 degrees or above? I thought I remember reading that before.
In celcius maybe? Trust me on this one...I had a variable resistor on and took my family to the zoo on a hot day. We were sweltering in the car on the highway until I figured it out. I verified with the atoutap the temp, but it escapes my mind. It's around 70-75, I'm sure Charles would know for sure.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I gained about 120ft/lbs of torque and 90whp from the mod :)

Though... I use it to trick the computer when I spray hehe (I modified my PCM tables so that when it sees a cold temp it pulls alot of timing... and adds more fuel .. keeps the motor safe while spraying)

Really though... I personally don't think it's worth it... especially on a supercharged car ... bad tank of gas + hot day + supercharger+timing can turn into a bad thing fast....

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Trust me on this one

Ok, first let me say I am not trying to start an arguement. Second, this is car specific. So with that being said, here is a quote from the national board, and then the thread it came from.

remember though..if you have the dual digital climate....if the temp outisde is 32 or below...the ac compressor WILL NOT turn on

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=11...ode=&s=#1170083

The reason why I remember this is, because I have the dual digital climate control.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Hey, no offence taken. I have a '00 with the dual digital. I was able to scroll my temp settings up and down and listen to where the AC compressor turns on. It may work that way (at 32 degrees) on some cars, but not on mine. Charles from DHP can change it to whatever you want it to and has for at least one member I know of. The "happy knob" uses this feature to adjust timing on a custom programming also.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info