Interior and license plate lights do not work

Yeah so basically my interior lighting just doesn't work, and this is very annoying because I cannot see how fast I am going at night. None of the red illumination works. Only the window switches and lock buttons on both front doors still work. Furthermore, the license plate lights also do not work, which in some places might get me pulled over. All the gauge needles work fine, as with all the LCD screens on the radio and the climate control. The LED indicators for things such as the heated seats or rear defrost also work fine. Very weird and random problem. All fuses and relays are good. Looks like a short? And it would appear that the license plate illumination is related to the red back lighting on all the gauges.

Any and all help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, if not simply for the sake of seeing my speedometer and other instruments... I just miss that good old Pontiac red glow.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I had something similar happen to my Firebird. There was a bad ground wire, which wasn't attached.

First, I would check the fuses. Then I would take a gander under your dash and see if anything is hanging down. The grounds should be on the far right and left side of the dash, just above the top area of the kick panels.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Your dash lights and your plate light are told to come on by the headlight switch when you turn it on or when it's told to come on by the auto headlight on circuit(If you have that type of switch) . I would look at the wiring around that area or that wiring circuit .

I'll check into the grounds. I know it's not the dimmer switch, I have three different ones and all of them do not work.

The thing that's weird is, the illumination works on the window switches in the doors, but nothing on the dash works.

Thanks for the input so far.

Btw, this happened a while back when I was switching radios around. Not sure if its explicitly related. Both were just stock GM Delco head units.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Grounds are sound.

Could replacement LEDs in the other head unit have caused this? It was given to me from a friend who installed a iPod hook up in it. Some of the incandescent bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs. Could that have caused a surge or a short? Forgive me, but I'm not well versed in electronics or wiring.

Doubtful

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info