3800 Scott Cook or Big Jeff

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Hey Scott I was wondering if you could give us a little info about the turbo kit. Basically how it compares to the other kits out there like the Novi kits, and the mp112 kits. Also what cam and heads should be ran with it, what tb and some basic info on turbo's. I'm building an all out drag car and looking at all the alternatives right now. So for I like the novi 2000 just because of the power that can be made with it. But I like the mp112 cause of that low end power. Also with this kit will it be possible to add another turbo to say run two turbo's. A small one for low end power and then a big one for the back of the track.

Sorry for the run on sentence but really tired and can't think totally straight right now. :ph34r: :rolleyes: :D

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Running a twin turbo setup like you were refering to would be really expensive, and difficult to do. It involves a lot of solenoids and sensors to tell when the second turbo needs to spool up. Running twins is sieries in general is very difficult. that is part of the reason why RX7 and Supra owners switch over to single turbos. (i believe the supra is sequential, but i know the rx7 is) Running twins in parrallel however is easier to do. Running two turbos of the same size just means twice the equipment, but not all the extra equipment that sequential twins would.

BC

Feb 4, 2008
Hey Scott I was wondering if you could give us a little info about the turbo kit. Basically how it compares to the other kits out there like the Novi kits, and the mp112 kits.

Centrifugul superchargers make boost as the square of engine speed. A simple example would be a CSC car that makes 16 psi of boost at 6,000 RPM. This same car would make ~ 4 psi of boost at 3,000 RPM.

MP112's are just like M90's except that they move 24% more air, and it's a cooler, more efficient charge. These roots-type blowers make instant boost, regardless of engine speed.

Turbochargers make boost depending on load, and inherently have a 'lag', while they are spooling up to speed. This lag can be minimized with torque converter selection, a small shot of nitrous, and improved turbine technology.

Also what cam and heads should be ran with it, what tb and some basic info on turbo's.

You'll either want a stock cam, or a turbo-specific grind. Supercharged cam grinds are not the best choice for turbrocharged applications. The better the heads, the better your performance will be.

I'm building an all out drag car and looking at all the alternatives right now. So for I like the novi 2000 just because of the power that can be made with it. But I like the mp112 cause of that low end power.

The CSC is a good choice with a very high stall converter. The MP112 is a good choice and the converter selection is much less of an issue.

Also with this kit will it be possible to add another turbo to say run two turbo's. A small one for low end power and then a big one for the back of the track.

Anything is possible, but there are much simpler ways to get the kind of power you're looking for. Let's keep it is simple as possible, so it's easier to tune properly.

Hope this helps.

Scott

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
So the csc will be making more power then the turbo kits?

Also wondering if you guys do a full blown race trans and LSD. This car will not be a street driver and looking for some kind of diff besides the quiaffe that acts kind of like a locker. I know that you say that your diff is the best most streetable but do you have a full blown race version?

Thanks Scott and Jeff

Feb 4, 2008
Also wondering if you guys do a full blown race trans and LSD. This car will not be a street driver and looking for some kind of diff besides the quiaffe that acts kind of like a locker. I know that you say that your diff is the best most streetable but do you have a full blown race version?

Our tranny is the best we know how to build right now, and is doing well up to the 500 horsepower level. The Turbo Car (~670 horsepower) is still having plenty of breakage issues, and we're continuing to learn as we go.

Our new Second Gen LSD is coming out next week and will be an enhanced version of the First Gen LSD. For all-out drag racing, it might be worth trying to build an actual locking unit.

Scott

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Sweet as soon as my first tranny is rebuilt i'll be getting hold of you guys for my second tranny.With the turbo kits is it a good idea to raise compression or is it better to leave it stock? And do you guys knife edge the crank on your race block or is there a chance of a newer crank on its way?

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Oh I have been watching the CSC for awhile now and am pretty impressed with it. But from reading what Scott has in mind with his turbo setup I think that I"ll defiantly go turbo route.

I have a really nice set of heads already Scott and a thrasher cam. Will these be a good combo to use with the turbo or would I be better with a stock cam and the turbo. I'm pretty sure i'll be doing the turbo cam but just weighing options of selling mods from my other gp for this one or what I will do with it.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Dreamcat78@Feb 9 2004, 09:31 AM
well lynn sounds like you better get cozy in that condo of yours...by the sound of hales future you wont be getting a house anytime soon:( but maybe a baby out of it LOL !
Hey be nice to the poor guy, you don't know what kind of trouble statements like that can do to someone's spending plans!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info