What's that noise?

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Since I bought the car from old timers I've noticed it's making a noise around 4.5k rpm and up that sounds like a hissing cat that's been smoking cigarettes for past 20 years, kinda like grinding...that's the best way I can describe it lol. 99% sure it's coming from the front right side. Today I finally got around to replace both belts that were there since 2002. Checked all the pullies to see if they spin freely...nope. Ribbed idler and tensioner pulley bearings were shot/rattling, others did not spin freely at all so I replaced them all. Took it for a spin hoping that noise might've been related to bad bearings.

:nope:

What in the flying fuck is making that noise? Blower coupler is silent as my wife's fart. Paging [MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
double check the coolant level, low coolant can cause a gurgling/sloshing sound flowing through the heater core as the WP spins faster.

the other alternative is the PS line is touching the firewall and your getting a hydraulic noise transfered...there was actually a tsb for rerouting the PS HP hose line on the first year GP's. its easy for it to get bent/etc and let the hose touch the firewall.

the PS noises are what i would think sound close to a cigarette smoking cat hissing and growling

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Took it for a spin this morning with both belts off, noise went away. Put the accessory belt on, noise came back. What should I look at next? Compressor pulley bearing as mentioned above? WP was quiet when i spun it by hand so was PS pulley. How about crank pulley?

Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info