3800 Tips on how to buy a new car

Here is something I posted up somewhere else because someone ended up paying $42K for a new GTO, and just excepted it.

Here is my little thing I do, that I learned from a friend and from buying 4 new cars in the last 6 years.

Dealers are such asses, you can't trust any of them at ANY point.

Here is a tip on how to negociate in what I like to call 'playing the game'.

You tell them that they are going to play 'the game' or else you will find someone that will. 'The game' consists of telling them your price, and sticking to it, giving them your phone number and tell them call me when you're willing to play.

Then go to the next dealership and get them to their bottom dollar using by using the last dealerships bottom dollar and them tell them the exact thing to 'call me when you're willing to play'. Walk out and get a good nights rest and wait because the first dealership will call you the next day and tell you they are 'willing to play'. So go in, tell them what the 2nd dealership offered you and negociate from their until you are satisfied.

It sounds confusing a bit, but works. It is harder though with a car that is in demand, but you can still pull it off if you are willing to stick to your guns and are able to purchase the car right away.

I don't like giving the dealer anything over MSRP, but I was willing to pay a little over for this car.

Dealers will bite when you are stern, don't let their two facing friendliness blind you into going with a price they are content with. Sit there and work their numbers inside and out and don't give in until all of it makes sense, because they play with the numbers soo much and make it sound like you are getting a deal, but in reality you are paying the dealer an extra $3K and don't know it.

What are your secrets/ techniques?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
my secret...

I go into the dealership and tell them how much I'll give them for a particular car...
they pull their salesman crap "oh we can't go that low but blah blah blah"
I give them my number and walk out

Did that w/my TA and got it for 4K under MSRP

GTP was a little easier... did the same thing just to see how low I could get them to go... then I pulled mout my supplier discount form and got it for that price (ended up being ~5k under MSRP)

I would never pay MSRP for a car... much less over it...

I got the GTP within a week of beginning the search for the model I wanted and color etc... TA took almost 2 weeks ... had a harder time getting the price I wanted..

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
My trick........Never buy NEW!!!!!!! Let someone else lose the 30%.
When I know what I want I research the heck out of it online...thats how I found ClubGP. Then I shop the internet till I know what a fair price is and thats what I pay. Yes they should make a profit, just not a large one!
If you have to have new, our Kenosha store carrys, Toyota,Ford and Chevrolet new at or below MSRP. All are posted with the no haggle price. And show you MSRP and Dealer.
Other than a GTO I can't see paying new price for much of anything out there. But thats because I love the GTO so I'd be shopping with my heart not my head!

Originally posted by Aircal@Feb 5 2004, 08:46 PM
My trick........Never buy NEW!!!!!!! Let someone else lose the 30%.
When I know what I want I research the heck out of it online...thats how I found ClubGP. Then I shop the internet till I know what a fair price is and thats what I pay. Yes they should make a profit, just not a large one!
If you have to have new, our Kenosha store carrys, Toyota,Ford and Chevrolet new at or below MSRP. All are posted with the no haggle price. And show you MSRP and Dealer.
Other than a GTO I can't see paying new price for much of anything out there. But thats because I love the GTO so I'd be shopping with my heart not my head!
Yeah I sorted broke my cardinal rule and didn't 'play the game' this time, I really wanted this car when I saw it.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I dunno i've always bought my cars new (well TA and GTP are the only cars I've bought) but... I just like the feeling of a new car better... I know it's got the full warranty, I know it hasn't been abused, and I know how it's treated from the time it's new...

I'm just paranoid about spending that much money on a used product.. stupid but that's just me.... (prolly somewhat of a subconsious thing too... since my first 2 cars were both used and gave me problems towards the end of their lives... though they were peugeots...)

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
But why would you even need to visit a second dealership? Couldn't you just make something up? Just tell them such and such dealership is offering it to me for blah blah blah. What are they gonna' do, call you a liar? Are they going to check into it? That wouldn't be a very smart customer service move on their part.

I think the key here is be preparred to "walk away". If you seem intent on reaching a price, your desparation shows through. That would give the dealer the upper hand. You just have to be calm about the process and don't seem super eager to finish a deal.

That's what we did with my sister's first (and current) car. She really really wanted it bad, and I had to keep telling her to try and contain her excitement. She had been shopping for a LeSabre T Type for a while, but most of them were trashed. This one was mint, but when we first came across it in Autotrader, the dealership was asking $6K (keep in mind this was 3 years ago), which is too far away from a reasonable price, so we didn't look into it right away. A month later, we noticed the same ad, but the price had dropped to $4,700. So I said let's just take a trip down there and look at it (was in Frankfort). The thing was beautiful. We took it out for a spin, and I was scrounging for some complaints to come up with a way to knock the price. But I couldn't! The thing was immaculate. So we got back, and I just played it cool like I was somewhat interested. I said what's your bottom line, he said $4,200. I said nope, forget it. Too far off. Then he played the old "wait, wait, let's go inside and talk about it" game. So the hammering began. First of all, I ALWAYS negotiate prices with tax, title, doc fees, and all that other miscellenous crap included. I want "out the door" prices. So I told him $2,500 OTD. He just stared at me blankly at first, and then said there's no way they can go that low. So I said "it's up to you. We've got several others to look at yet, so we're not even ready to purchase this one, but if we can hammer out the right price, we can end the search tonight".

So after some back and fourth haggling, he dropped to $3,500. I said $3,000 and not a penny more. He said "we gotta' make something off the car!" I said "yes, you should make something, I just don't want you making your mortgage off it!" :p He got down to $3,300. I said if he can't do $3,100, we're walking, and I told my sister "let's go". He chuckled and said "Ok ok, you got it. Man, you're one of the best negotiaters I've ever delt with, which is bad for me I guess." Nice try on the buttering up crap, there. <_< And so, we got a car that they were originally asking $6K for, for $3,100 out the door!

Wow, that turned out to be a long post. Sorry. :unsure: :unsure:

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Horist- I once was test driving a 5.0 and the sales guy asked me to let him drive back, he then procided to beat the snot out of this car with only like 2 miles on it. No brake in or nothing. We got back and he says thats how you drive a 5.0. Now would you like to buy it? And I said not after you beat the sh** out of it!...lol
I have even worst stories about new cars. We buy cars all the time people got new only to find out the car had major frame damage that had been repaired. Yesterday we had a couple who bought a new car a few years ago with 2k miles on it. Ran an autocheck and found out it had been rolled back from 6k to 2k.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
true... though my GTP only had 4 miles on it, and my TA only had 36 miles on it (and it was 27 miles driving to go from one dealership to the other to get the car)

While it's true a car can be beat on when it's new... that will be the case for a new car or a used car... but w/a new car worst case you only have limited "beatage" ..but used you could have none you could have tons...

ah well.... I'll most likely be looking into my first used car next year... need a truck to tow the TA ... and a heavy duty truck is built to take abuse... so that i'll buy used...

Originally posted by RareGMFan@Feb 5 2004, 10:48 PM
But why would you even need to visit a second dealership?  Couldn't you just make something up?  Just tell them such and such dealership is offering it to me for blah blah blah.  What are they gonna' do, call you a liar?  Are they going to check into it?  That wouldn't be a very smart customer service move on their part.

They really usually do call other dealerships and ask, further more, if you are going to walk out on a dealer you might as well have another dealership worked out where you could pull off a similar deal.

Hell, the dealer where I bought my GTO wouldn't go down a penny until I told them that another dealership would sell it to me for sticker. They went in the back room and called, I know because I have a friend that works there that saw them do it! Once they realized my story was true they came out and said they worked out the price to what I wanted out the door for $35,300. Not bad for a car that I saw 3 people come in and said they wanted to buy it while I was signing the papers for a good price.

Point is, they usually check by calling up other dealerships asking for prices as if they were customers.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
I've been shopping around for a new car, well new to me not a BRAND new car.
I considered myself pretty good at dealing, considering I've owned 4 cars all of which I've dealt with the person and bought completely myself. Which I think is good considering I'm only 19. I mean I sold my first car for twice what I paid for it, althoguh I only paid $100 for it. :lol: That $100 did probabally cover my gas money and insurance for the time I had it too.

These tips I assume will end up helping me out, alot. Many of which I've used myself already and also many I haven't thought of. Thanks much guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info