3800 First Kill!

AFter only three days I finally got my first race. Hesitant because the lack of knowledge of driving a manual, but I couldnt back down. Once he saw me he followed me to a side road and we stopped and chatted for a few seconds about how he hasnt seen one yet and so on, but then he had to see what it had.

He took me right off the line with about a half a cars length by the time I shifted into second. That supercharged V8 really hauls off the line!! through second I closed the gap to his rear bumper as I shifted into third. In third I made it just shy of being lined right up with him, and through forth I pulled ahead by about a half a length. I then proceeded into 5th where I hit 130 and that weird ass O/D speed thing popped up and freaked me out so I layed off, obviously the winner. A great race, and the guy was real respectfull, and cool.

Also call me a idiot, butI just found out today not a few seconds ago, I could drop the clutch at almost any RPM... No torque converter!! WOO HOO! I freaking launched hard today after finding that out. I just never thought of it... but if I would have known that when I raced that lightning I would have really put it to him!!

I got some good news hopefully in the next few weeks, I can't wait to post pics if it goes through :) Ill keep ya all update :D

I have no freaking clue!! It is something that is on the dash if you flip through this "menu" mode. It says O/speed 130MPH, and it is adjustable from 85mph upto 130mph.... I dont get it, but it freaked me out. Maybe I should read the owners manual once :)

Edit: Just read the owners manual... seems they call this thing overspeed... a feature that you can set a speed that is let's say the speed limit, and if you go over it, it sends a message with a chime that you have exceeded that speed. Whoopty do. But at least I figured out how to disable it ;)

I also just found out that I am not insane also!!... I say that because I felt before the volume of the car increase when I raced that lightning, well it turns out it does increase automaticly when you accelerate, they call it SDV (speed dependent volume) which it is suppose to adjust automatically to make up for road or wind noise. I only noticed it when I accelerated hard because the volume changed so drastically :)

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
get underneth that car and find out if it has the standard gm 10 bolt (live axle) or IRS. I don't know how well the IRS holds up, but that 10bolt is going to be a weak point in the drivetrain if it is the live axle. be careful dropping the clutch at high rpm's or you could find yourself replacing the rear end sooner than you expected.

BC

sweet car btw!!! :D

Originally posted by sweetness@Feb 5 2004, 01:53 AM
get underneth that car and find out if it has the standard gm 10 bolt (live axle) or IRS. I don't know how well the IRS holds up, but that 10bolt is going to be a weak point in the drivetrain if it is the live axle. be careful dropping the clutch at high rpm's or you could find yourself replacing the rear end sooner than you expected.

BC

sweet car btw!!! :D
No idea, but I was reading around and I thought I passed over something that reffered to the GTOs as having 12 bolts??? Don't know if that is possible yet, I have to do more research, this whole rear wheel drive manual thing is completely new to me. I spent the last 7 years becoming an expert on the GP's and I just switched to the exact opposite of all I know :) Give me about a month, I'll be on top of things ;)

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
i'm not sure on the size of the pumpkin... but the GTOs are IRS

I dont think it's a 12 bolt but I could be mistaken... definetly IRS but GM seems to do a pretty good job on their IRS systems (better than ford)

If you want more info check out ls1tech.com ... about anything you'd wanna know on your drivetrain

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but i really don't think it's true. Lightnings can hang with and stock f-body. And i know the GTO isn't as fast as an f-body. The only really way i could see that you won is if it was cold out, cause those trucks do not hook up what so ever when it's cold out. So maybe you did win. But i can garuntee you meet up with one of those trucks on a nice day, you won't win.

PS. Sorry if i was rude or anything really didn't mean nothing by it. I think the GTO is one bad ass car. But it's just the fact that i know for a fact that a stock GTO cannot beat a lightning. That's just why i kinda don't belive it

Jim

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
If everyone drove the same I could understand where you are coming from.

ALOT depends on the driver. Also maybe the lightnig had bald tires, while the gto has brand new ones. I just dont see how you can call a bs flag on something that could easily be true. There are just alot of variables that have to be considered.

Originally posted by 00GTPSC@Feb 5 2004, 01:02 PM
What kinda car did u get???? And if your running mid 13's i highly doubt you toasted the lightning that bad. I'd be surprised if you won by at least a car legnth.

Jim
Lightnings are not that fast.... unsure of the year of the car I raced, but the guy said his runs 13.7's maybe 13.6's stock and all he has is exhaust.

Lightnings have power on the low end much like the Grand Prixs with the roots blowers, that is why he jumped on me like a bisnatch. If you re-read the post I said I was going about 130mph by the time we stopped, and I only really started passing him after 100... our traps for both cars are low 100's, which means that he did beat me in a quarter mile but I was gaining and eventually passed him.

I also stated I only had him by about a half a car... meaning he was to about the mid of my car, which might come out sounding confusing the way I said it at first.

Edit: I just read your last reply before this and I hear what you are saying, lightnings are fast, but they have lower end power where as this car justs doesn't stop accelerating on the top end. No bad feelings, it's cool, someone did dyno one of these stock and got about 306hp to the wheels which isn't bad. I don't know how you are sure for a fact a GTO can't beat a lightning... maybe in the quarter you might be right, but not a fact never the less. Your fact though is wrong because I already beat one :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info