3800 Moved From Anything Goes: Help! Missfire Problem!

OK so i relpaced my plugs the other night because i was throwing code p0300 and now the missfires are worse than before. if i get on the gas more than 1/4 way down my car sounds like a helicopter. im thinking that i probably broke a spark plug wire when i was installing them the other night. anybody know if this is probably what the problem is, or could it be something else (ignition coils?) i didnt have this problem before lastnight, so it is likely that it involves something that i messed up during the proccess of me installing the plugs. if the wires are the problem, i dont have enough $$ to buy new ones right now, does anybody have some stock wires laying around that i could pickup after i get off of work tonight that i could possibly borrow for 2 weeks? give my cell a call if you can help me out and leave me a message, i really dont have a chance to get on the net at work but i can make ample phone calls whenever lol (847-321-8358) i work over in niles so i dont want to have to drive to far because i dont want to cause any more problems with my car. please help me out! ill buy whoever can help lunch ( i have enough $$ for that lol) wherever you want (not red lobster or anything like that though :D ) thanks!

--Adam

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Feb 3 2004, 08:28 PM
Does it sound like a bunch of snaps, or electrical type sounds?...that the wrong wires to cylinder.

Plz explain helicopter a little more for us?
it sounds like... Put put put put putputputputputputput whenver i get on the throttle more than 1/4th of the way . im about to leave work so i'll check to make sure everything is in the right spot when i get home, and then post an update. thanks !

--Adam

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Im just going to have Lord make this a sticky. ;) did you use di-electric grease on the ceramic part of the plugs?? I will be willing to bet a plug change that you didn't, got on the gas, and cracked the ceramic. Did it myself for a few months, have had a LOT of people make the same mistake. Take out the plugs and look for any cracks on the ceramic. you will probably need to replace them anyway, because it can be really hard to tell if you have a crack. Be sure to put di-electric grease on the ceramic and put a little in the boot itself when you replace the plugs. i bet it goes away. ;)

BC

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
i have a bunch of plugs wecan swap in and out if you need some. Let me know if you need any help. I am sure i can get your car running fine with no problem. You should be fine driving on those plugs. they only will miss under boost or heavy throttle, so just be nice to the gas pedal. let me know if you need some help.

Bc

the other night i pulled out all of the new plugs i put in the other day. all of them were fine (no cracks or anything) except the front two, which were a werid color, like green/purple/blue/brown, like they were getting too hot. i put in two of the old plugs where i took those out and the problem went away a little bit, but im still getting missfires, its just not as noticiable as before. what the hell? lol

G

GTPLEE

Originally posted by sweetness@Feb 4 2004, 03:18 AM
i have a bunch of plugs wecan swap in and out if you need some. Let me know if you need any help. I am sure i can get your car running fine with no problem. You should be fine driving on those plugs. they only will miss under boost or heavy throttle, so just be nice to the gas pedal. let me know if you need some help.

Bc
Sweetness give me a call when you get a chance. I'm having the same issue as Adam86 and I do have my wires now but never change them since the Mod day and the check engine light came on again. 630-781-5670 cell

Lee

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Since the engine is not under load, it may react differently. Try this, it works better on humid days, but you can also get a fine mist spray bottle. Start the car at night and be sure the parking brake is on; this will prevent the DRL's from coming on. Mist some water on the spark plug wires and look for the lightning. This should help you find a bad wire or plug if that's the problem. The darker out the better. I had a running problem on an older Dakota that showed up this way. Also, the wire close to the front 02 sensor has a habit of burning through on our cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info