CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by rob@Feb 2 2004, 10:49 PM
Called the dealer on the L32 forged rods: GM PN. 12574508
Ive heard claims these rods are stronger and the same weight as the L67 jobbers.
I can get them for about $40 a peice. I dont have any pics but they do look beefyer.
Im considering them. Anybody have comments or recomendations on them?
when I have to rebuild, im using these.. :ph34r:

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Look in March 2004 issue of H.P.Pontiac. They are removing a little rod material around the circumference or the wrist pin side. Need to find out if they except the same wrist pin diameter-I think they do-not positive-need to mic. one. May get one and check it.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
NO I dont claim to know why or how Alex blew his engine? I dont know how much HP OR MILEAGE he had. BUT I KNOW HOW HE DRIVES!!!!HA-HA He also took a chunk of #1 cylinder with it-or did the cylinder take the rod?

WE can speculate how this happened......Could of been a misfire, KR, detonation, a bad wrist pin, or a stress fracture in the block due to a core shift in the manufacturig process????? Or the rod could of plain just failed. By itself, probably not.

I know the weakest part of the rod is the bolts-so APR's are recomended if you want to retain the stockers. So would a good set of bearings and a BALANCE JOB! To me these L67 rods have a good reputation for handling power-the whole bottom end does. Just look at the main design with the cross bolted mains-thats NASCAR technology!

Whats my point-well 90% of the time a engine doesnt fail for for one reason. It will fail for any number of predisposing factors or circumstances (some of which are described above). Hypotheticlly speaking, the same thing will happen to the L32 rods if the same conditions are present-it just may take a little longer. Hopefully you'll recognize it before it happens-thats the art of race engines-tune.

What does this mean? Dont refuite the stock rods performance or get complacent on the L32's. A set of fluxed, balanced,(good condition)L67 rods in heavily modded streep/strip car is not destin for failure-under the wrong conditions they are.

I want to be clear on this so I dont start a cock fight......Im not saying Alexs car was wrong or say exactly what the failure was. Im trying to convey the circumstanses under which failures DO occur and clear up any misconceptions about the L67's rods. We dont see alot of rod failures in these cars-pistons usually go first(in my case)And that was cause by KR. I didnt see it then, but I see it now. Thats what im trying to say....

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
I had no knock and I blew a piston. Also LP had no knock and blew a piston. I also believe that Adams pistion blew not the rod??? Is that correct Adam? Ignition timing is the biggest problem concerning the pistons. When you advance the timing the explosion happens in a smaller area creating a downforce and more power. Thus heating up the piston more creating the cracked or fragged piston that we are seeing. Forged pistons can handle alot more heat so that advanced timing isn't that big of a deal.

You could also run an IC to help with this problem also.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Your right timming is the biggest factor-with KR you are retarded to a degree-there is NO QUESTION that a forged and or coated piston is going to give you more longentivity. Thats why ive always used them in my cars. Not just to compensate for higher cylinder pressures in a normally asperated whatever but their ability to withstand the thermo variances of a supercharged engine.

The stock graphite impregnated pistons expansion and retraction(swelling)causes some distortion and metal fatigue that ultimatly leads to failure. Its not as ACCUTE as you put it. It takes time. Its the incomplete burn that yeilds the residual cylinder pressure that hammers your piston after the compression stroke-combined with fatigue and crack-olla.

GTPictor

Addict
Nov 16, 2008
McHenry
Originally posted by gtphale@Feb 8 2004, 11:25 AM
I also believe that Adams pistion blew not the rod??? Is that correct Adam?
Well I am pretty damn sure it was bearing failure that lead to the big bang.....wish it was louder. The week before my head gasket to a dump and we (charles) noticed it after doing a tune run on the highway reacing speeds of up to 130 or so at which point most of my anti-freeze was lubricating my bearing. We all know that is not good. I really wanted to go racing that sunday so i said f*uck it riped her apart cleaned as muc h as i could out with tlike 6 oil changes and replaced all the gaskets and inspected the top half and everything looked good. That took from 6pm sat to 6am sunday. We left 7 am sunday to go race. From what i saw of my motor after she blew it was all chunks (we turend it on after it blew...damn did that thing shake like crazy). But im pretty sure the bearing cause the blow up because when i took em out you can see the coating was gone and had some nasty scaring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info