3800 Window switch lights??

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
I"m almost positive there isn't a bulb you can just replace easily....I seem to remember looking myself when i had my door apart also.

talk to JET.

he is able to fix the lights for the steering wheel controls, he MIGHT be able to help you out with those as well. not sure but he had take those apart and soldered in new bulbs...

HTH's..(I know what that means now)...lol

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You don't need the door panel off to get at it. The bezel that holds the window switches/door locks is held in by a metal tang. A thin screwdriver can get in there to push in the tang, then gently pull the bezel out. You have to take apart the switch to access the bulb. As you will see, it's not a simple pop in a socket situation. The bulb is soldered in place. Radioshack makes a bulb similar that is normally stocked. It's a pill shaped bulb with 2 wire leads coming off of it. The problem with it though is they epoxy the area where the wires lead into the new bulb, and it may not fit in the spot correctly. I was able to use a razor blade and cut away some of it to get it to fit. I would suggest getting several of the bulbs in case you mess one up. I did, and had to run back to the store.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, the info I gave is how the fog light switch bulb(s) were replaced. I assume the other switches are similar. It's still a major PITA to do. I found a lightbulb source on the web a couple of months ago that have a direct replacement for the switch bulbs, and the DIC/HVAC bulbs. The bulb at Radio shack was close enough, so I never ordered them. I may end up ordering the ones for the HVAC anyway, the repair I did on my HVAC lights was a little hacked. The lights worked on it for about a week, now none of the lights work on it when my headlights are on. I'm 99% sure that I have a short from a solder bridge or something. The limp leads that come on the Radio shack replacement don't sit well on the PCB of the HVAC controls.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Actually, it's an incandescent lamp ;) . An LED would be a hard fit in the case - not much room in there. I'll try it next time.

Royal: If you can wait till another mod day, I'll be offering to fix the door button lights as well as the steering wheel lights. Otherwise, I've got a button to sell you if you want :) .

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info