rotted oem cat back time to upgrade

v8venomgt

Addict
Sep 16, 2004
Nature has decided to take my OE exhaust back so its time to replace it. Since its my DD and I don't want what I replace it with to rot out I want to go stainless steel. I'm a mustang guy so shopping for gtp parts is foreign to me as to who a reliable vendor to order from is. This car keeps miles off my Bullitt so buying an exhaust that's super high end and best for power is immaterial to me.

Doing some brief shopping it seems like I can't get out of it for less than $500. That said I'd like to keep it around this price point.

I'm looking to the house brand zzp exhaust below
ZZPerformance - 2.5" 97-03 Grand Prix Stainless Catback Exhaust #ZZ-25GPSSCB -9703

And the SLP powerflo exhaust listed below.
SLP "Power Flo" with “GTX Tips” Cat-Back Exhaust System: 3800 Performance

Is one better than the other in regards to quality/fitment? Which is quieter? The SLP exhaust, is that the best vendor to buy it from? Thanks!

v8venomgt

Addict
Sep 16, 2004
Go to any Valasquez muffler shop and you'll be out the door with a custom cat back with whatever resonator and mufflers you want for under $250.
Set the record straight for me if I'm wrong but I'm skeptical that's stainless metal at that price point. Since this will be my DD for the foreseeable future I just want to do it once and be done with it.
Yeah but with aluminized steel that will just rust in two years anyway. I used to have magnaflow exhaust on my 2000 GTP and it was great. Very mellow without the headers.

Also, I believe it was the GM Performance Parts exhaust with magnaflow mufflers and resonator. Not sure if they still make it or have any examples leftover.
Just doing a quick search I think the magnaflow was near a grand. For this car and my level of interest/love in it that's way too much money to spend when there are cheaper alternatives of comporable quality. Unless I'm mistaken?

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
I had valasquez install my zzp stainless downpipe when they did my catback and now after 2 winters the zzp downpipe is in worse shape than whatever piping Valasquez used. Just my experience.

I have full confidence I'll get another 4-5 years before it's even close to needing to be replaced. Then for $80 ill have an all new one again since I don't have mufflers.

Was just throwing in a much more cost effective option out there.

v8venomgt

Addict
Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, I think the GMPP system is discontinued. I recall paying $500 or so for the full stainless system and magnaflow mufflers. The Magnaflow catback is a ripoff at its current price.
$500/would've been a kickass deal for a full as cat back. I had powerflos on my old 2v gt and I wasnt particularly in love with the tone of the exhaust. It wasn't awful but it wasn't great either. That said this is a v6, it'll never sound good so I'm probably just splitting hairs lol. I do remember my old 2v had a very liveable cabin with those mufflers....compared to what it was.

I had valasquez install my zzp stainless downpipe when they did my catback and now after 2 winters the zzp downpipe is in worse shape than whatever piping Valasquez used. Just my experience.

I have full confidence I'll get another 4-5 years before it's even close to needing to be replaced. Then for $80 ill have an all new one again since I don't have mufflers.

Was just throwing in a much more cost effective option out there.
I appreciate your insight. Didn't mean to come down on you if that's how it appeared.
With your firsthand experience im most leaning towards the SLP cat back. Was the zzp down pipe advertised as stainless steel? Their cat back is so maybe that's the difference. My car has 125k on it so I very well may not have this car for 4-5 more years but if I do I personally just don't want to have reoccurring issues/downtime etc

v8venomgt

Addict
Sep 16, 2004
i have the SLP one. with headers, and high flow cat.

it can drone at times but is not bad. mostly when anything drones. same rpm at highway speeds.
not excessivly loud. fitment is good.

i have this one

SLP "Power Flo" Exhaust System with dual/dual tips: 3800 Performance

Awesome, thanks. Sine I'll be running a stock downpip and manifolds I'm hoping the drone will be nominal. I'm sure it'll be quieter than my junk box as it sits. Is that a decent vendor to order from? I'm assuming they don't offer any forum codes for a discount or anything of the sort?

v8venomgt

Addict
Sep 16, 2004
I have the ZZP exhaust and it fits for shit.

The exhaust on it, the original owner did some ghetto work to it, and eventually
just fell apart.

ZZP one would have been nice, but nothing fit well at all with it.

interesting. im not sure why, but i was weary of their catback. slp sounds like the way to go at that price point.

Just find a used OEM cat back that is not rotted out and run that. You can use the 04+, GXP, Impala, Monte Carlo cat back, one hanger is in a different location but that is no big deal.

That is going to be the cheapest option.

no doubt that will be the cheapest option. thing is, these cars are old, and theyve all developed rot by now im sure. also, chasing an oem catback at who knows how many junkyards thats not rotted doesnt seem like the most efficient use of time. to me at least. consideirng its just going to happen again. this car sits outside.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have slp on my car and it is by no means quiet. No aftermarket exhaust sounds even decent on these cars. So options are to pay big money for aftermarket and deal with it being loud or go used oem for a fraction of the price.

If you looks a little bit you can probably find a good oem exhaust that some one replaced with aftermarket.

v8venomgt

Addict
Sep 16, 2004
I have a used stainless SLP exhaust you can have for cheap. The mufflers aren't in show room condition..some scratches. But, it is stainless and will last. Let me know if you are interested in a used set up.

Very interested. Shoot me a pm with info. What tips are included? I don't care if its scratched up this car is a DD. As long as the mufflers aren't blown out and the hangers/hardware are still in good shape.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I have slp on my car and it is by no means quiet. No aftermarket exhaust sounds even decent on these cars. So options are to pay big money for aftermarket and deal with it being loud or go used oem for a fraction of the price.

or turn the radio up.

at lease he is not planning on runnin [MENTION=653]BrianG[/MENTION] smurf style and going header to dump:smurf:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info