3800 Lets play a little game

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Who wants to guess what kinda car this is out of. and what years had it. I almost positive it was only out for 2 years, but who can name the car, and the name of the shifter

GAL07.jpg

Jim

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
You are right, and what do you win? NOTHING, MUHAHAHAHA haha just kiddin man, good job though, didn't really think anyone would get that so quickly. They came on the 83 and 84 Hurst/Olds Car wasn't much different from the cutlass, just the Lightning rods and stickers. but it came with the olds 306, which was a sad sad motor. I actually have an 83 which we are re-buling. The orignal motor for the car is gone, so it doesn't make it worth as much. So that's where the fun comes into play. We just got the heads finished, we had edlebrock heads and we sent them out and got the ported and polished to add an extra 70hp. Next thing that we are gonna do is send in our 73 350 that we picked up for free, and that's gonne get re-built and put out about 450hp, then we have to send the rims in to get re-done and widened. While that's getting all done we are gonna take the body completley off and do a frame up restoration to the body and try and save what's left of it. We got a pair of brand new front seats along with new shift knobs. The lightning rods have to be removed and sent out to get re-built also with a longer shift cable. Then the engine will be put back in along with a re-built q-jet and a racing Cam. Then eveuntually add headmen headers along with dual Stainless Steele glass pakcs right off the heads. So this thing will be loud as hell. Then we are gonna install a strut brace under the hood and a X strut brace behinde the back seat to stiffen it up. Then after alot of suspension work and gear changes we are gonna add probably a 6inch cowl hood. Then last the best part a 75-100 shot of nitrous. So i estimate when the car is done to have between 550-650hp. Not to shabby huh?

Jim

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Originally posted by 00GTPSC@Jan 28 2004, 11:37 PM
You are right, and what do you win? NOTHING, MUHAHAHAHA haha just kiddin man, good job though, didn't really think anyone would get that so quickly.

That's all you wanted to know? :huh: I thought you meant each one of the three lightening rods had a name, which I never heard of before (thus the joke). Otherwise, that was a pretty easy question. B)

*Slaps himself in the forehead* Stop analyzing everything do death!!!

Believe it or not, those same shifter can even be found in the 1994 Cutlass Supreme 442 package. :eek: Don't ask me why they put a package like that on a w-body (although it was little more than appearance). :ph34r: It's also not clear how many of these were made.

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
Ahh yes the Lightning Rods, very cool if you could keep them from breaking. I hate to correct people but I will. It actually was a 307 engine and it had a different cam and a few other goodies (if memory serves, I have been away from Olds for a few years ). The 83 was black on top and silver on bottom and the 84 was reverse. As far as th 94 Cutlass Supreme having the same shifter setup I don't remember that. I do remember the 442 came out but it was actually a Cutlass Calais with a Quad 4 and a 5 speed. I worked for Olds for over 13 years and I would still be there if GM didn't stick it to Olds!

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
I figured you knew that I Just felt like being a jerk and pointing it out. There is one of these (Hurst Olds) by my house sitting under a ratty ass cover just rotting away. I would love to get my hands on it and make it nice again but I know so many of the parts are just impossible to get. They were discontinuing most of the parts over 10 years ago.

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Yeah some of the parts are heard to get, or if you find them, they are expensive as hell. On the front nose of the car is a placque that say 15th anniversary, and my dad had saw a mint condition one on ebay, but he lost the bet, it sold for 240$. but some stuff you can find pretty good, and pheonix graphix has the stripe kit for it.

The shifters- The shifter all the way to the left is your main shifter, that's your park, reverse, neutral, drive, and over drive. If you want to drive normal, you just put that shifter in overdrive and it does everything for you. If you want to you use the other shifters, you put the shifter all the way to the left all the way back so it's in drive, and you bring the middle shifter back, and the right shifter back. that's first gear. When you start driving to shift into second, you push the shifter all the way to the right up, and that engadges 2nd gear. then you go and then push the middle one up and that engadges 3rd gear. then once you get back to the shifter all the way to the left your in 3rd gear and then you go from drive to overdrive for 4th gear. Kinda tricky, but really cool. It's priceless to see someone get into your car for the first time and look at them and either be speechless, or say, WTF is that.

Jim

Originally posted by HUNTERDOG@Jan 30 2004, 12:26 AM
As far as th 94 Cutlass Supreme having the same shifter setup I don't remember that. I do remember the 442 came out but it was actually a Cutlass Calais with a Quad 4 and a 5 speed. I worked for Olds for over 13 years and I would still be there if GM didn't stick it to Olds!
Yeah, I know about the Calais. I've seen several. But there is some debate going on the W-Body club as to what exactly the Hurst package Supremes consisted of. Someone on their has a 5-speed version (he, nor anyone else, is certain it's factory, though). So a big debate/discussion errupted as to who's seen what. Then, out of the clear blue, this one guy leaves a message for my sister on her Cardomain page (she has a LeSabre T-Type, got her started early on rare GMs ;) ), and low and behold, check out what he has HERE!

Now granted, he says his is a one of a kind tribute/anniversary edition to Hurst, there are still those that claim they've seen other ones. Again, it's unclear how many exist, if any (other than this one). Curious as to what you think having worked for Olds that long.

*EDIT*- Whoa, nevermind! If you look at page 3, he says he's got TWO of them with the lightening shifters!!! :eek:

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
Very interesting! I knew that Olds didn't produce them but sometimes a company will come in and do a "kit" for dealers in an aera or some dealers will do it them selves. Look at Yenco's Camaros and Novas. We used to do a JTO package (Jack Thompson Olds) on Cutlass Supremes around 86 that consisted of a stripe package that looked like the 442. Hey thanks for the info, this guy is local too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info