3800 Drivers unite

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Hello all,

So I have missed the island lake parade, the island lake car chow, the Barrington car meet, and now have missed the entering deadline for the next level car show. This is in regards to my GTP that I just cant seem to figure out. As I posted on here a bit ago, after I did the e85, 80 lbs, fuel pump rewire kit, and the zzp tune, my car blew the fuse under the hood ( 21 spot ) when I was driving.

I have been in contact with ZZP and it seems they are just kind of leaving me holding the bag. Since they are in Michigan and don't have the car its like they aren't even trying to help me figure out the problem. I have replaced the following:

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Since then The P0230 code has gone away ( for now ). But the car is still misfiring. I get P0300 ( random misfiring code ) all day long. Today I got a new code, P0171. Do you think that the MAF sensor could make the car have random misfires??

The car smells like heavy gas. like if you stand behind it you can smell it as well as if you are sitting in the car. It idles at about 700-750rpm and they seem stable. As soon as you give it gas ( rev it ) you hear it bog/misfire.

Fucking Pontiac dealer refused to work on it and ZZP is to far away for me to bring it at this time. I know there is a lot of smart people on here who know a TON about 3800's. Tommy Gloves, Turbo400, or 1quick if any of you guys can help me out at this point I would really appreciate it. Like ZZP said, " That thing should be out playing with Mustangs"

Side note,

I'm sure fuel pump rewire kit is correct. It was tough because of the new canister design. The car drove for about 350 miles perfectly, then when that fuse blew is when all the misfires happened. I did notice from doing the rewire kit, that A- Fuel pump relay, and B- fusible link wire to power center under hood, gets pretty warm. It actually gets warmer that it used to. Kind of hot. ZZP said this was because it is sending more power to the fuel pump.

If anyone can help I seriously would appreciate it. Come over on a weekend, Ill grill something. I'm really in need to get this running correctly. I do have the DHP Tuner if that helps.

Thanks for reading!

Hope to hear something soon!!!

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
do you have a scan tool or anything that can read the PCM datastream?

does it keep blowing that fuse 21?

does the car have a stock MAF sensor?

have you put a fuel pressure gauge on the car? if not, rent one from autozone and throw it on with the car idling, then rev it and watch if the pressure drops out.

it's hard enough diagnosing a car over the internet, especially a modded one with very little info

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Yes I checked all the fuel pressure. It's at 50 when I turn the key then it drops. I was told this is normal with after market fuel rails.

I have a scan tool also. That how I checked the codes.

I have a lq4 maf. I believe it's for the north star that I have also.

No the fuse has not blown again . But I can't drive the car due to the misfires

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i assume the zzp tune is an off the shelf deal? was it "tuned" for e85, 80lb injectors, and lq4 maf?

fuse 21 supplies the MAF, O2 sensors, boost bypass solenoid, and evap purge solenoid. one of those has to be drawing too much. that fuse doesnt just blow.....
is the O2 harness laying on the exhaust? try unplugging each of the sensors, one at a time on that circuit and see if it runs better.

Screenshot_2014-04-30-21-20-30_zpski7vjhk_edit_1398911885740_zpsxrae5caz.png

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Thanks for the input. I unplugged the maf, it ran but if I gave it gas it dies. I unplugged the front 02 and it really didn't change anything. As for the back 02 it is a wired in one so I have to find a plug at a junk yard to put the pig tale back in. Unless I can buy one somewhere. I don't like having the wire in plug.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
All your posts are hard to read .

I am guessing you changed the injectors run e85 and rewired the fuel pump . It ran fine for 350 miles then suddenly blew a fuse and got a few codes . You threw some ignition parts at it trying to fix the problem and only got one code to go away .

Is that right ?

Fuses usually blow when you have short to ground . Or two wires rubbing together .

Also I don't think a fusible link should be getting really hot . One thing that causes wires to get hot internally is resistance in the wire . Look for any signs of corrosion on those wires . Like green moose moss or check the harness connectors for corrosion or signs like they are getting hot too or feel hot .

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
All your posts are hard to read .

I am guessing you changed the injectors run e85 and rewired the fuel pump . It ran fine for 350 miles then suddenly blew a fuse and got a few codes . You threw some ignition parts at it trying to fix the problem and only got one code to go away .

Is that right ?

Fuses usually blow when you have short to ground . Or two wires rubbing together .

Also I don't think a fusible link should be getting really hot . One thing that causes wires to get hot internally is resistance in the wire . Look for any signs of corrosion on those wires . Like green moose moss or check the harness connectors for corrosion or signs like they are getting hot too or feel hot .

Yes that is basically it. The post is hard to read because it wouldn't let me post it at all yesterday in 1 shot. I had to brake it up. each individual wire of the rear o2 sensors are electrical tapes as well as tapes altogether so it's basically like a double layer. they are also soldered together the individual wires. I looked over all the wires so far I have not found any kind of corrosion. If the mass airflow sensor is the issue could it cause a car to run like this I would hate to spend $130 on a new one and then have it changed nothing at this point I'm running out of funds to change everything.I'm going to keep at it and keep looking maybe I'm missing something I'm just hoping that inside the motor isn't the issue at this point.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Can you read your bin out of the car with your DHP and post it up or email it to me?

P0171 is the code for when the car is running lean. What are your LTFTs at when idling and cruising? Are they pegged at +16.4?

Thanks Tommy! I will check this for you. I can read the file but I do not know how to email it. I believe I tried to send it to you once a while ago. When I try to email it for some reason I can't see it. How do you send it. Just regular email?

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Can you read your bin out of the car with your DHP and post it up or email it to me?

P0171 is the code for when the car is running lean. What are your LTFTs at when idling and cruising? Are they pegged at +16.4?

Thanks Tommy! I will check this for you. I can read the file but I do not know how to email it. I believe I tried to send it to you once a while ago. When I try to email it for some reason I can't see it. How do you send it. Just regular email?

As for driving the car you basically cant. It misfires to much. It stutters severely when you give it gas

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info