Transbrake switch location?

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Got asked an interesting question last night... where to put my trans brake switch.

I've never used one so I am pretty much :dunno: currently...

Considering I am in a race harness and junk, movement is kinda
restricted.

I've seen it on steering wheel, but read horror stories of hitting it by accident.
An arming switch could help with that.

Usually have both hands on the wheel when launching, as even with the
GMR diff it doesn't want stay exactly straight as an arrow on the take off.

So if not on the wheel, then have to strong arm it for a moment.

Soooo.... Anyone use one before, and where would you like to... put it. :naughty:

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Mine is on the steering wheel. It is a momentary switch, however I have an additional switch in the line that arms the momentary. You could potentially use one of the steering wheel controls (if you still have them) like the volume up button to trip a relay. That would probably be too slow now that I think about it...

if you have an issue with the button being pushed in anything but 1st gear I would definitely have an arming switch for the momentary. My new brake has protection such that it only does anything in 1st and every other time it does no damage.

I don't recommend it on the shifter if you have to manually shift the car, because when it hits, you are likely to shift by accident.

Another guy here has it on a little cord with a handle, holds it against his chest on takeoff and then throws it for the first shift.

recommendation: steering wheel and don't be dumb and hit it while driving.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I have a similar setup to [MENTION=45]Handsome Jesus[/MENTION]. My tbrake button(also activates 2step) use to be on my center console in front of the shifter but I recently hooked up a new button to my steering wheel and planned on using the console button as a bump box pulse button. This way my left hand would be on the steering wheel while I use my right to bump in. I also have a on/off toggle switch in line with the tbrake/2step in case i'd accidently hit the button while cruising. My tbrake is a Jakes D3 brake so it can activate in any gear

AItPsZt.jpg

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
might recommend the cord below the turn signal, could get annoying, but besides that that'll work great. I have a pulse button on my steering wheel too on the other side...

so much fancy shit in my car for a car that doesn't run well.

The cord actually clears really well and feels the most comfortable in that position. It never binds up on the turn signal. It was a temporary setup but I haven't removed it since putting it there. #LazyProblems

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Dave at Triple Edge is putting it in.. So I just gave him a few suggestions and all..

But pretty much leaving it up to him I guess to figure out what feels natural sitting
in the car strapped in. I don't want to reach/stretch for it type setup is all
I really request.

There is no stereo, so can mount button in one of the steering wheel radio
control locations. Just figuring out how to wire it up past then to not bind up
is the next issue, but leaving that all to him to figure out :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info