3800 Anyone need any preventative services done?

LowenhartGTP

Jan 8, 2008
He's a cousin of mine and can due any service that his service shop does at around %40 of the service shop set prices and is also very generous with freebies. Trans & coolant flush, oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, pcv, wiper blades, tire rotation, etc. To protect his identity :ph34r: anyone opting to have anything of this nature done can go through me and I could set you up with a promt time, date, and location. Let's keep those GPs runnin' strong this winter! Let me know.

LowenhartGTP

Jan 8, 2008
Hey alex, I'm pretty sure he can do both services for $100 (regular prices for trans. flush is $139 and I believe its around the same for the coolant flush). Mind you that he's using "PowerPurge" machines for these services which completely clean out your trans. & cooling system. I'll get back to you on a sure price & date. Oh and one other thing alex, he doesn't recommend dropping the pan and replacing the filter unless its leaking. The "PowerPurge" machine cleans out and renews your filter, that's why it's their most expensive trans. service.

ANTPEARL...He's not really a mechanic that can diagnose things of that nature. He can change out your pcv valve for you, but so could I, or you yourself, being that it is easier than filling your car with gas.

LowenhartGTP

Jan 8, 2008
Hey J/O, they only use Pennzoil so you would have to bring your own Mobil 1 synthetic, but then I couldn't see it being very cost effective being that you probably would just change it yourself anyway. If you would like me to ask about what synthetic he has to offer or how much just for the change, let me know.

Sweetness, I have you down for trans. flush & fill too. Give me a little bit and I'll get back with all of you. Just an idea, but it might be a good idea if all of you would like to get this done at once. Convoy?? B)

OK, I need a few things done on the TSTE, but a question first.

It's got 122K on the clock and probably has never had tranny service done before. I'm kind of reluctant to change it, but everyone on the w-body and TGP boards is pretty much saying you have to. <_< If something is gonna' go wrong, I'll just have to let it. But they seem to think it should be ok, regardless of the miles. The biggest concern seems to be making sure the old fluid is COMPLETELY flushed out. What do you guys or your cousine think of this?

Otherwise, I'll need:

Oil/filter change
Trans filter/flush
Radiator flush

I'm not positive on how soon I can get the car running yet. I think we may have just found a solution to the crossover dilema, but not 100% positive yet. Can't get her going till that gets done first.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Intresting things people say about a car that has never had its trans seviced.

Many will tell you not to becuase as the new fluid works in there, it will break up deposits, sediment, etc and start moving around your trans and actually may mess things up pretty bad.

On the other hand, some will say that it is worth the risk.

I have read abou this in various newspaers such as the sun time, southtown, etc.

Recently, id say about 1 month ago, I read you exact same question in the Daily Herald Automotive section in the Sunday Paper.

Go through thier archives. You will find it.

LowenhartGTP

Jan 8, 2008
howmuch to change the fuel filter? i couldnt get the damn thing off..pictor couldnt get the damn thing off..me pushing on ratchet with 3ft cheater pipe..damn thing still wouldnt come off...i have the fuel filter i just need to get the damn old one off!
That's gonna be $20 for the fuel filter change.

thinkin about a couple different kinds, PEAK primarily

Does Peak make a Dex-Cool application? The reason I ask is that you should be careful with anything else than GM approved Dex-Cool coolant/anti-freeze.

OK, I need a few things done on the TSTE, but a question first.

It's got 122K on the clock and probably has never had tranny service done before. I'm kind of reluctant to change it, but everyone on the w-body and TGP boards is pretty much saying you have to.  If something is gonna' go wrong, I'll just have to let it. But they seem to think it should be ok, regardless of the miles. The biggest concern seems to be making sure the old fluid is COMPLETELY flushed out. What do you guys or your cousine think of this?

Otherwise, I'll need:

Oil/filter change
Trans filter/flush
Radiator flush

I'm not positive on how soon I can get the car running yet. I think we may have just found a solution to the crossover dilema, but not 100% positive yet. Can't get her going till that gets done first.
I haven't talked to him yet about your dilemma, but while waitng I could add my opinions/experience. My cousin says you should really change your trans. fluid out at around 50K, same goes for coolant. I remember hearing one of the mechanics there saying that some people who's trans. are plugged up with "shit" are worse off. They ended up flushing away all the "shit" that was, and I say loosely, holding the trans. together/making it work properly.Same goes especially for the radiator flush. If you haven't done it in a LONG time, that Dex-Cool turns to slime and muck. This slime and muck can plug leaks in your water pump and other key areas. When you attempt to flush it out, all of those slime "plugs" are washed out as well, leaving you with a leaky system in need of repair. My car just hit 90K and I had trans. flush, radiator flush among other things done. I was running low on coolant, it had turned into a slime pit and I was skeptical to have the flush done, but it turned out perfectly. I'll ask his opinion for you, but I think you should have these things done, sooner or a bit later.

LowenhartGTP

Jan 8, 2008
*AN EXTRA NOTE*

Like I was saying earlier, all people that want in on this should all get together, myself included, and go over there at one time to have this done. Much more convenient for my cousin. He also stated to me that he can do work after hours as well i.e. late night. He is still working a date together to run past you guys and it would be nice if we could do this as a group thing, or at the most a two time visit. Thanks for the cooperation.

P.S. This might also be a great time to replace your supercharger oil. He's got the machine there that sucks out fluid. For any of you who've done their own S/C oil change, I could tell you that this is a hell of alot better and more efficient at removing old oil and "gunk" as opposed to window spray bottles or turkey basters.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by LowenhartGTP@Jan 28 2004, 06:50 PM
J/O, its $20 for fuel filter (I believe he supplies one, otherwise just grab one from the dealer, and I'm sure he'll knock more $ off of just putting it one then) and for the synthetic oil I'll check with him. ;)
ill take a gas filter change(ive got the filter, makes it easier), and a supercharger change(should I get the oil?)

LowenhartGTP

Jan 8, 2008
J/O, your fuel filter change should only be a few buck then. And yes, definetly get your own supercharger oil. The S/C takes 2 bottles, 8 ou. all together. I bought three because I'm going to run 1 through after I've sucked out the old fluid to get the S/C extra clean. The cost is about $7 bucks per bottle. GM part #12345982.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info