3800 Computer geek tuning question

I

imported_Ron Vogel

OK - I swapped in a Athlon XP2400, was running a XP1800. With the 1800 I was seeing temps of 100F or 38C. That has jumped to 111F or 43.8C. It is slightly OC'd to 2.2gig, as the 1800 was OC'd to 1.73gig. I have a stock Athlon heatsink with a 80mm fan conversion on it. Is it time for a copper sink, or should I leave well enough alone? What are some of the better fan coolers out there? I was planning on going to water cooling, but price of a decent system is just too high for me right now.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
When you put in your new proc and heatsink/fan, did you have thermal grease on it still. That stuff helps alot. You may wanna go buy some from the store and put it on your computer.

wait... you got a 80mm fan conversion on that??? What do you have, a dell? Get a normal heatsink and fan. It is the best bet. That never works with the 80mm fan,

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Computer is all custom built, not a dell. When I mean "stock" cooler, it was the one packaged with the processor itself. The 80mm fan conversion helped quite a bit, dropped CPU temps 10 degrees F. I was looking on www.svc.com at the Thermalright coolers, they seem to be one of the better one's out there, at around $50. I may save my pennies for a cheap water cooler, Tigerdirect has one for $100.

here's the cooler, it's the sp97:
http://www.svc.com/soca4cool.html

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by ThaLord@Jan 27 2004, 01:14 PM
44c is not hot.. unless you are having problems, which I doubt, don't worry about it... Athlons can handle temperatures up to about 58-60c. Beyond that, you should worry, but anything lower is alright.

Anyone who tells you otherwise, is a fool.
I know it's in spec, but I want A LOT of headroom. This thing is going to be pounded to death when the studio is up and running. Much of the time a mixdown can take from 5-7 hours. That's constant loops of many large files over and over. My CPU temps go up with more and more tracks. On the plus side, one song that wouldn't play for more than 30 seconds unless I reconfigured a registry setting before I played it. With almost 90 tracks, my CPU usage monitor was at about 90-95%, now it plays at 65% with no dropouts. It put a smile on my face from ear to ear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info