Trying to get GTP going after sitting 3 years w/o prep

jterwelp

Aug 10, 2011
Hey guys, I did a bad thing: I've let my 2002 GTP sit for almost 3 years without first prepping it for storage! Back in December 2011, I bought a used Audi S4 as a "winter beater" and I like it so much that I haven't had the motivation to get the GTP going again. Now I do.

Here's what I think I need to do to the GTP:

* Replace the battery (it was the original so I'm satisfied with the 10 years of reliable use I got out of it).
* Siphon out the old gas and replace with fresh.
* Change the oil.
* Attempt to start with the (fuel pump fuse removed) OR (ICM disconnected) to allow the oil pump to prime the system.
* Reconnect whatever was disconnected and start the car.
* Should I change the fuel filter after I use a few tanks of gas?

Additions, corrections, feedback are all welcome!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just fill it with 5 gal of new fuel...fuel filter after a tank or two aint gonna hurt, esp since it is a maint item.

do not change the oil, right now the oil system is still fairly primed, pull icm/fp fuse and crank to build pressure or fire it up to get pressure, then change it. all of the particles have fallen out of suspension so changing it now is like changing new oil...and the new oil is gonna get contaminated...

after its hot/up to temp then id change it

dont mind any chattering/bouncing from the belt side...once the belts get warmed up the cold set will go away....

though the tensioner may still bounce due to rust build up on the pulley/idler surfaces/ribs

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
replace battery and drive.

if your going to keep it then replace regular scheduled maintenance items.

Agreed.

If you want to prime the motor you don't crank it cause that'll defeat the purpose. I'm not sure how you turn your oil pump on that car but if it was a sbc I'd pull distributor and get a drill, attach long flat head screw driver that has the handle cut off but will reach the oil pump slit. A flat head screw driver type object would do attached to a drill then drill till you get oil coming up the heads in to the valve Springs, do it with valve cover off.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
my cressida has had the same tank of fuel for 6 years now and it still starts and runs

442 started up with 3 year old fuel in an unsealed fuel cell. it didnt like it but it did....5 gal of fresh on top of it ficksed it

Man I've had nothing but trouble this year with gas I had a fresh 6gal tank on my pontoon and it sat for 1 month to the day and I couldn't get the boat to start I started checking ignition and plugs and everything checked out so for the hell of it I switched to my other tank that I just filed that day and it fired right up

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
condensation is usually the culprit...once the water is drawn into the carb yer screwed untill its all sucked out of the bowl...dep on how much water was in that tank, you could have gotten it to fire up in a few more cranks or running it on carb cleaner till its sucks through all the water., there is a reason you want those tanks nearly full, less area/volumn for condensation.

especially with how hygroscopic 10% ethanol fuel is....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info