3800 Using GM Top Cleaner

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I've read the directions on usage on ClubGP. What I dont understand is why an oil change is required ? Its not like the stuff touches - reaches the oil pan ?

And what affects will will have on the catalytic converter? With all that grime coming out, wont it clog up the pores in the cat? I'll be using the stuff before my new cat gets put on. Just wondering if anyone has ever pondered these thoughts.

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I have done this to my car and not sure what you are talking about.

This stuff is the real thing for cleaning out your injectors....not the crap you pour in you tank. It is delivered via the frt fuel rail with the gas pump fuse taken out. Mix it about 75 percent gas, 25 top end cleaner in a contiainer designed to do this injector cleaning service. This container is hooked up to an air compressor also. Most shops charge around 80-1225 dollars for the procedure

The bottle will be gone in about 4 minutes. Run the car via the throttle body cable through all the RPM ranges too.

All the Instructors at Morraine Valley Community College use it/ teach it. Even the one head guy their who is ASE cartified Master Mechanic and writes responses to auto questions for the southtown.....I forgot his name....sorry...

How much grime do you think will come out? I dont think it is that much. A lot of peoplel in my class used this stuff on thier injectors and were amazed at the results........but, most of these people really dont maintain their cars that well, so it had more of an impact on them then my car.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Hmmm, we might be taking about different cleaners? The Top Engine Clean GM part # is 1050002. It comes in both spray can and bottle form. Most people just take the bottle and suck it down through a vacuum line while keeping the engine running. Afterwards, let the engine sit for a few minutes and restart. (Cliff Note directions)

All of the people that have used the Top Engine Cleaner are amazed at all the smoke it produces during the process.

My question is - why is an oil change needed afterwards? The stuff must get in the oil somehow? Not important I guess... Just do it!

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It's a detergent. It cleans carbon, therefore it breaks down petroleum. The oil film that normally protects your cylinder walls will break up during cleaning and allow contanimants to leak past the rings. After any "good" top end cleaner (even fuel additives) it's good practice to change the oil. After cleaning, your oil will smell like gasoiline. Gas in your oil will also lower it's viscosity.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Is the beer and chaser for the car or... :blink:

I used the stuff a few nights back. It's perfect to perform this at night and when its cold. When you drive out with all the smoke behind you, your car blends right in traffic because all the other cars have smoking tail pipes! Heheheh.

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info