3800 guys in here! I need advice

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
a stock short block 3800 can handle more power than probably any trans option in that car, but if mid 400's is your goal you will want to turbo the 3800 ranther than leave it supercharged, the bottom end is 6bolt mains in the 3800 so they hold up well to pretty good power levels but 350-400whp is really pushing it on a blower set up you can however do that on low boost with a turbo

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
a stock short block 3800 can handle more power than probably any trans option in that car, but if mid 400's is your goal you will want to turbo the 3800 ranther than leave it supercharged, the bottom end is 6bolt mains in the 3800 so they hold up well to pretty good power levels but 350-400whp is really pushing it on a blower set up you can however do that on low boost with a turbo

Ok. I'll look into that a bit more then. I didn't realize they were tough motors. Which Series should I look at?

Looks like a lot of guys are running the G6 six-speed.

Right on. If you are willing to do a bit more work to it, ls swaps are never bad and would make that car rip pretty damn fast with a mild set up.

Yeah, I have a good bit of LSx experience. I would use the same setup my vette had before I turbo'd it. Speed Inc SI5 cam with some nice heads and a FAST intake.

Wolfman

TCG Elite Member
Jul 6, 2010
Evans Mills, New York
1quick knows the set ups to easily get mid 400whp. That is pretty reliable for the motors too. Stock motor with some valve springs and rockers with about 10-15 psi will do it nicely if i am not mistaken. But i cant say a NA ls motor would be any less fun.

Hopefully he can chime in then. I don't know how to tag people in threads lol

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
you could just change the valve springs and put a double roller timing chain on a stock l26/l36 (any 97-newer n/a 3800) l36 would be slightly stronger but either will work fine for 400whp and build a turbo kit with a smaller turbo and it will easily make 400whp, im not sure on if the off the shelf hot side parts work with the fiero or not, the log headers and crossover might work i dont know what way the motor faces in the car on those, with the turbo set up though as long as you have enough fuel system and the right size turbo you can just keep turning them up when you get bored with your power level

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
the first turbo motor i put together was a 2007 N/A 3800 with 14k miles on it I got for 350 bucks from a junk yard, i left the heads on it with stock gaskets and head bolts threw on 130# valve springs a double roller timeing chain and put a st5 turbo cam in it, the rest of the motor aside from the custom upper intake i had was stock (the stock intake flows better than the one i had) and at that time i just had 80lb injectors and a aromotive 340 intank fuel pump and e85 for fuel system mods, I had a garret to4e t67 and it made 519whp on 17psi

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
TYLERFIERO_zps1e13f15a.jpg

My buddy Tyler with his MP112 3800 setup. Not exactly sure why he went with the MP112
over turbo but did.. Intercooler and a cam.. and on those tiny stock sized tires still
ran i think 11.1's...

If it was mine, i'd gone turbo :)

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I'm getting close to finishing an L67 swap with the 4spd manual into an 87 Fiero GT, originally started with an 86 GT. If you go down this same path feel free to ask questions specific to the swap as there a lot of little things you encounter doing it. I have a thread in the members build section too, links in my signature.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info