3800 Running Bigger Injectors

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Would there be any downfall/harm in getting bigger injectors if the chip isn't designed to run them? Reason I ask is if the need should arise for some new ones, I want to go bigger. Jeff M is currently working on a package for the TGPs that will include a bigger bolt-on turbo (to replace the stock T-25 which is kinda' small for this motor <_< ), 29lb injectos, and a chip to control it all. I don't want to buy the stock 22lb, and then have to purchase injectors again when the bigger ones are released. So my question is would the car just run like normal (what I'm leaning towards since the computer doesn't know to command more fuel), or will it dump too much fuel and run rich?

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
let's put it this way:

Your cars computer is designed such that it knows it has xxlb/hr injecotrs in it....

so it knows that based on the air coming in (amongst other factors) it needs to keep the injector pulse width open for yyyy milliseconds

now... if you add larger injectors w/out modifying the computer ... the computer will hold the injectors open the same amount of time as stock... but w/larger injectors this will be more fuel than expected....

so you'll lose performance....

Now if youi go insanely large... the car wont run... example... I had 26lb/hr injectors (4 bar) in my TA stock... i put 42lb/hr (3 bar ... ~48lb/hr 4 bar) injecors in it because I was running lean on motor.....

I spent 2 hours tuning my PCM to idle! If I put my spare PCM (stock tune) in the car won't rev past 1500 RPM ....

So basically... if you put a bigger injector in than your PCM is setup to run your car will run like $hit... the larger the injector over the PCM expected size the worse it will run....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• RareGMFan
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list