3800 I'm officially adult/contemporary

I

imported_Ron Vogel

As you all may know, I'm a singer/songwriter. I basically classify myself as pop/rock. I've been wanting to do a cover of a Harry (Henry?) Gross song "Shannon". It's a mid-seventies tune about a family mourning their drowned dog. My wife never heard the song, when I played it for her she thought it was newer and someone had copped "my sound". I listened to it carefully and, the recording is actually pretty crappy for it's time, and I could improve upon it quite a bit. But it was still disturbing that my new songs sound like some mid-seventies soft-rock artist. Just had to vent...

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
HEy I completely understand Ron. I wrote a song once that I thought was really good and then a band I started liking later had done a song with the same chord progression. I mean it wasn't they same song but to many similariities that I quit using it. So yeah I'm empathetic to your situation. ;)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yeah, I did an awesome fast/techno/heavy version of "A few of my favorite things" about 3 years ago. Then like 3 bands covered it that year (even though mine was the best). I do very few covers, and I pick them carefully. They have to fit in with what I'm doing, and I have to be able to either improve upon them or completely rearrange them. You should hear what I did to "Crazy Train", it's a cross between Star wars/REO Speedwagon/Pink Floyd.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Sorry for the double post, but... Yeah that's cool if you have time this week I'll show you how to navigate around some of these recording programs. I've only got the computer set-up for my son to watch movies on right now, so the sound system hooked to it is a little lame, but the programs and data are there. I'll burn a few programs for you to try out too. I've got Protools, Sound Forge, Pro audio 9, Sonar XL 2.0, Emagic logic, Cakewalk Pyro, and a host of plug ins. All are full versions, so this should save you about $2500 in software.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by GraFFix@Jan 19 2004, 03:35 PM
Hey Ron you have any of your stuff recorded? Id like to hear some of it :)
Yeah, you could say that...I've got about 45 (90 min) cassettes filled of old demos, 10 or more reel to reels in 1/4" and 1/2" formats, and 5 - 18 song cd masters. The problem is, once I get something done and proud of it, I learn something new and think the old stuff is crap. My current project of 14 songs, and my last one of 12 songs has about 5 songs total that I haven't gotten too sick of yet. I hoping to get this project done by the end of the year and start hitting college radio hard to get some feedback. I usually have a couple of cd's in the car, next time I see you I float one out.

I

imported_GraFFix

Originally posted by 98GPGT@Jan 19 2004, 04:39 PM
Isnt that like a techno program grffix?
its more of a techno program but it does have guitar loops, bass guitar loops and also some lyrics that you can add in..mostly rap type stuff or whatever but still heh...I listened to some sample songs that came with it and you wouldnt be able to tell that it was made by a program...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98GPGT@Jan 19 2004, 03:10 PM
Damn that would kick ass. Well I don't have to work most of the week. And I get out of school at 330 so just name the time and I'm there. Maybe I'l bring the dean acoustic over and we could jam out or something. I play alot of different stuff so I'm sure we could work something out.
Tuesdays and Thursdays are OK, but tomorrow is shot (Have a meeting in the city until 6pm). Thursdays are good from 6pm to around 9 (that's when ER starts). But remember, I have kids so my attention gets pulled all over the place at home. If thursday is cool, send a PM and I'll get directions to you.

I

imported_GraFFix

Originally posted by Ron Vogel+Jan 19 2004, 05:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Jan 19 2004, 05:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GraFFix@Jan 19 2004, 04:01 PM
We dont discuss illegal software on these boards...I paid for my copy  :unsure:

talk to me at Koozys  :ph34r:
Illegal? Who said that! :rolleyes: It's a gift... [/b][/quote]
;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list