3800 Single Exaughst

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I had my open pipe setup that way. I left one muffler on to the y-pipe, the other went straight out. Without the resonator, it sounded pretty ricey/raspy. If you were to do this, in theory it should help scavenging. However with such a large pipe as a 3", your exhaust gases may cool too quickly as they exit to promote scavenging. I personally like the idea of the sigle exhaust, but it would look silly if you don't have two pipes out back. The next exhaust I do will have a round muffler where the resonator goes then no mufflers behind that.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Not always. If you think of each exhaust pulse as a tennis ball, the size of the combustion chamber and cam decide the size of the ball. If the ball fits snugly in the pipe, it will create a vaccuum behind it as it travels through the exhaust. In turn, that vaccuum pulls the next pulse through smoothly, and the result is more power and greater fuel effciency. If the pipe size is too large, the signal from each exhaust pulse will be weaker, same with cooling the pulse, it will condense the size of the pulse and make it weaker. If you split the pipe to a y, the y needs to equal the barometric pressure of the outside atmosphere, or it will break up the signal of each pulse.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Jan 15 2004, 12:35 PM
So whats the best route to run a low 14 sec NA car?
Well, if you want to make mad power like wes does, he has togs 3" d/p and I want to say 2.5" or 3" catback. If you goto the INTENSE website and find his name it will tell you his mods. I listed them here awhile back, but I dont remember which post.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

3" is way too big unless you plan on pushing 7500rpm. 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" into 2-2 1/4" is all you need. A SC adds about 40% more cylinder fill which equates to about a 300 - 320 displacement. N/A cars are 231 and that's it...Technically, a 3" pipe is even too big for a SC unless you have the power for it. You will be giving up too much torque. The best route would prolly go with a ss header/2 1/2" exhaust combo. There are people running ss headers on 12 second cars, the togs primaries are too large to give you that low end torque you need to get you out of the hole quick.

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jan 15 2004, 02:03 PM
There has been discussion of doing it, but it's not practical at all, and doesn't offer any advantage over a single pipe. You would somehow have to run 4- O2 sensors, and it would be a problem getting the lengths right.
There was a guy that did it that was at GPG2. It didn't seem to work all as well as he thought, and quite a pain to do. No real advantages were found.

Here is a pic of his beast... ohh yeah and it only ran 13's unfortunatly, he had a TON of mods and money into it. That pait job is from a Lambo. Real nice guy though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info