3800 New Member

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Hello, everyone. I was posting on a thread about the Chicago Autoshow on ClubGP when "mybluegtp" mentioned this forum in a reply, so I figured what they hey. I'm guessing from browsing throught the site that this forum is primarily for the 97 & up GPs, though. I hope older ones are ok. My biggest obsession since I've been into cars has been the AWD Pontiac 6000s, but within the last six months, I've obtained two '90 McLaren Grand Prix Turbos, so the AWDs have taken a temporary backseat. :unsure:

The plan is to get both turbos OEM mint (save for some performance parts of course), along with one of the AWDs. The other AWD will receive a heart transplant from a TGP. I don't think this has been attempted before, but it's now been all but confirmed that 50 out of the 1,376 '89 STE AWDs came with a turbo, so it's technically still factory. ;) I have an entire motor that will hopefully be rebuilt with the best parts possible for this project. Lots to work out since there isn't any help out there from previous attempts at such a swap, so I'm taking my time and researching as much as possible.

It's nice to see people enthusiastic about something other than super-luxury cars and SUVs. I'm from Naperville where the attitude seems to be "if you're not driving a BMW or Mercedes, you're driving a tin can". Of course, these are the same people who couldn't show you were the dipstick is if their lives depended on it, so I don't put too much stock into what they think. :p Anyway, hoping to exchange lots of ideas/information with you all.

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Hey welcome to the club man, although I'm still new enough myself I dunno if I have the right ot welcome anyone yet. :eek:

I live near Naperville myself, I work there and all my friends are from there. And I know what you mean about the car attitude around here. The dip stick line is probablly absolutly true also.

Thanks for the welcome, everybody! :)

I used to have a 90 STE when I was 17. It was only the 3.1 N/A though.

Cool! The STEs are pretty sweet cars, turbo or not. (Although I don't know how long I could tolerate the acceleration of a N/A 3.1 on a car that heavy. It's bad enough in the 6000 which weighs less). <_<

Oh and BTW are you related to a guy named Nathan.  Last name begins with an M.  He drives a black v6 mustang.  HE mentioned he had a cousin with the same cars you have.  So i thought you might be him since you're in the right area to be.

COUSIN?? What the --- :lol: Yeah, I know who you're talking about, but I'm not sure where the cousin thing came from. He's a friend of my sister's from school. They both went to Naperville North high school, and now they're both at Western. He just got his H-pipe exhaust put on before heading back to school from winter break. So you thought right. ;)

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Yeah thats the guy. I thought he said he was your cousin or something guess not. My bad well thats cool that you made your way here and we have a mutual firend. I was just talking to him about this club not that long ago actually. I'd like to check out those turbo prixs sometime. I don't know anything about how fast they are or anything, we should hook up sometime. Are you going to the mod day? We have a decent amount of people in our area meeting up to go all together.

Originally posted by 98GPGT@Jan 14 2004, 03:32 AM
I'd like to check out those turbo prixs sometime.  I don't know anything about how fast they are or anything, we should hook up sometime.  Are you going to the mod day?  We have a decent amount of people in our area meeting up to go all together.
Well, I'd like to go to the mod thing, but I have this slight problem of NEITHER OF THE TURBOS RUNNING RIGHT NOW! :angry: The brakes need to get done on the TSTE as well as the crossover pipe. Oh, and to top things off, I just found out I ripped the boot portion of my K&N (that was directly bolted to the turbo) in half! I kept clamping it on tighter and tighter because it kept popping off. I finally bolted it as tight as humanly possible, so the rubber decided to rip at the clamps, and the rest of the filter STILL came off!!! So there's no air intake of any sort on the thing at the moment. :unsure:

The red one was a $404 purchase off eBay from Wheeling. I was originally planning on parting it out to sell for profit because it went so cheap and the thing was in horrible shape judging from the pictures (which were all I had to go on because there was NO description what so ever!!). I was just thrilled it had keys and a clear title because a towing company with absolutely horrible feedback was selling it. They towed it to me for free because they had a station based right here out of Naperville!

When it got here, I gave it a good look-over and thought there's no way I could part this thing out. It's very saveable. So I just picked up a TGP that needs some TLC for $400. :p But it will be a while before I get that thing all put back together and road worthy. I've only had it a couple months, and it's been too cold to do anything to it.

As for times, the stock ones ran 0-60 in 7 flat and the 1/4 in 15.3 back in the day. A Jeff M TopGun 160 chip (which I have sitting here waiting B) ) takes the stock (and probably severely underated) torque from 225 to about 275. Most cars with only this mod have dropped down into the lower 14s, mostly because it takes the stock 7.5 PSI of boost and pushes it to 12. It also sustaines the spike in the power curve much longer. But I can't do jack till I get the crossover fixed. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info