Need help troubleshooting this sound - Video

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
This sound has been getting worse over the weeks. At first it would do it when the engine is cold, but now it does it at all times. The sound is louder when the wheels are being turned even when the car is not moving as noted in the video. The sound goes with the RPMs of the engine, and get louder/higher pitch as the RPMs rise.

In the video when the camera is resting on the windshield, the diffrences of sound is being created because I am moving the steering wheel. Any idea what this is? It sounded loudest around the alternator. I recently got the belts replaced about ~500 miles ago. I can't recall if I heard it before or after the repair.

*Possible volume warning*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEeTAjdIyE

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
What 02BlueGT said . Power steering fluid is lower in the tank when its cold out . If you have lost more fluid then it will squeal all the time .

Anything leaking or wet underneath the car ?

Good point. It has always had a ~dime size drop every now and then of oil, which is coming from what I believe to be the lower oil pan gasket. Not worried about that.

I don't believe its leaking, but I will take a closer look at it tomorrow. I just found this page, and it is my exact car down to the year! Ill use this guide to troubleshoot the issue.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/GM-Pontiac-Grand-Prix-GTP-Power-Steering-Whine/index.html

Yup. Could do it next weekend.

Im going to at least check out the fluid. Well see how it goes. Didn't hear the sound once on the 30 minute drive home today.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Good point. It has always had a ~dime size drop every now and then of oil, which is coming from what I believe to be the lower oil pan gasket. Not worried about that.

I don't believe its leaking, but I will take a closer look at it tomorrow. I just found this page, and it is my exact car down to the year! Ill use this guide to troubleshoot the issue.

GM Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Maintenance Guide - P/S Whining & Groaning Noises Repair

Im going to at least check out the fluid. Well see how it goes. Didn't hear the sound once on the 30 minute drive home today.

Make sure you have on thick sleeves, or do it when the engine is cold since you have to reach around the alternator.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
some lucas power steering fix knocks the whine out of it

Thanks for this. Added some of this today and it runs perfect. It might be in my head but the steering feels smoother. When I took out the dipstick/cap it was empty. As I added the Lucas stuff, I noticed when I would add the dipstick to check my level, it would be covered with a thin brown liquid, probably the little that was left in the system. I used about half the bottle (small bottle).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info