Fuel Pump 911

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Hello all,

As you know I bought the E8 fuel pump from ZZP. Today I installed the rewire kit. It was pretty easy. I just ran through the fire wall and from there to the back. Here is where it got crazy. I figured I would install the AEM fuel pump. This thing has no detailed instructions and I cant figure it out. Also, it is not plug and play, are you supposed to cut the stock wire harness and crimp it to that? Im unease with that because I dont want exposed wires in the fuel tank. I called ZZP 3 times and still got no call back. KJ, did you replace your fuel pump for e85??? If anyone could help me with this asap I will o you 1. My garage smells like gas and I need this in asap so I can move the car for the trans install. The kit came with a small black hose that is not long enough to go to the bottom of the fuel pump so i'm lost there, and came with a green filter bag. Can anybody walk me through this??? I know I ask crazy things sometimes but I do not want to drive in a rolling time bomb!! My lock ring was so rusted on it took me 35 mins alone just to get it off. I ended up calling the ealer and they said for 40.00 bring it in and they will figure it out. I dont want to do that so if anyone could help me with this I really would appreciate it. everthing is out and accessable so thing should go smoothly.

Thanks guys

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Ok the black hose is for the garbage reuse the straw if you cannot you will need a new one, you do have to splice the wires, I would solder them and put a piece of shrink over it or get the new schrink butt connectors where you hold a lighter over the middle and it solders it's self and shrinks, the green filter just clips to the bottom of the aem pump should be a tinny metal ring to put on the little plastic post to keep it on

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Should only be two wires on the pump red and black

There is red ( + ) and black ( - ) and on other side a very thin black wire. Im thinking it is another ground?

I destroyed the ribbed fuel line ( straw ) hose so I will have to go see if I could get a new one tomorrow.

I will cut and attach the wires. I was not sure about if that was how it was done.

So does the ribbed fuel line still go from the top of the pump assembly to the bottom of the pump I still have to read the link posted.

See image

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af326/Xtant12/aem_50_1200_2_sd.jpg

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
So I was told to just cap off the small black wire.

So over the weekend I found out no one could replace the clear hose that I damaged taking it off my fuel pump. I even went to the dealer and they said I have to buy a new module for 330.00. So I went home and looked on Ebay. I found it. I ordered 2!!!

Also I found out one of my plugs that goes into the harness that you have to crimp the new pumps wired to was broken. I could slightly touch it and it would fall out. Long story short, I bought a new one from EBAY for 45.00 SHIPPED!!

So now Im jyst going to do it all over again, make sure things are tight and ready to go. I figured out that GM did a new design for the wire harness that I will have to modify mine, ( cut and crimp ) the new harness to the cars harness. Sounds easy enough!

Im another step closer, just need the new module and Im good to go!!!

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
The plug that I have to connect them to comes out about 1 inch from the trap door. Unless I crimp them there isn't enough slack to solder or connect the new harness.

I'm also confused about the rewire

has anyone on here done the module upgrade? if so do you just cut the zzp harness and attach them to it?

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Wow that sucks that the modules no longer come with the correct connector to the 3800. I would probably try and junkyard an older module and use that and avoid the whole splicing bit all together. The zzp rewire should plug in inline with the existing plugs... you could likely just wire that new connector to the one end of the zzp rewire so that you have a factory female connector on one end and the new style male connector on the other. I wonder if the other small wore had something to do with the level sensor?

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I agree with you jesus. I'm normally good with wiring things up but with this involving the fuel tank I'm freaking out. I think what I'm going to do is just pulled the gas tank twist tie the wires together turn everything on to make sure it works that way there's no chance of explosions then if everything works accordingly I put the pump and tank back in and put it back together

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
You don't need to be freaked out about working on the tank. If the tank is sealed properly, then there are no gasoline vapors on the outside to ignite. Inside the tank, the headspace is full of gasoline vapors and is way too fuel rich (oxygen deprived) to support an explosion. That's why they can install an electric pump inside the tank in the first place.

The rewire is on the outisde right? Then try pulling the harness away from the tank, from underneath. You should be able to see it from the driver's side rear wheelwell. Then you will have enough slack to solder it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info