3800 what is milling the heads down supposed to

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
YEs

If you want to raise compression use thinner gaskets.
Remember shaving the heads is irreversible. And if you mess us a head you are out of luck in trying to re-deck them Because you have already milled them. Also higher compression means you will need to worry about premature detonation more. And in our cars that already bad for knock.

It will increase HP thruout the entire RPM range.

If you do have this done make sure you tune your car properly. Or you will possibly blow it up.

12secGTP

Addict
Nov 10, 2008
Des Plaines
exactly what alex just said...
raising comp will increase HP however, a forced induction car does not like more comp but less (that is why the L36 has higher compression than the L67...)

IMO you hurting yourself more with the higher comp then you will get powerwise out of it.

if you do mill out the heads, I would go with the thicker gaskets to help equalize it out.

also IMO, I would not just slap heads on a milling machine and start chunking!! If you are off on the machine, you can end up with heads that are out of flatness...
I would leave milling heads up to an expert auto machine shop.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by LP 3800@Jan 9 2004, 12:36 PM
Well I have them off I will probably toss it on the milling machines if it helps at all.
And would you suggest the smaller MLS gaskets with milled heads or is that too much compression for a 2.6" pulley.
Thanks for your help
Yep...milling the heads will bump compression and HP but it's not the right way to go about it with a FI motor. It's best to use your power adder (SC/turbo) to raise the compression. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but only when a smaller pulley can't be added.

I

imported_snoop

DO NOT MILL THE HEADS. NO NO NO!!!!! dude, you will be more than happy with the compression up at 9.5:1, trust me. you do not need more. that is more than enough. with that compression and your IC, see where that takes you. you should be more than happy with it. test and tune baby. ;)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'd agree with not milling the heads. It causes too much of a headache with milling the intake manifold to match. In some instances, it can help unshround the valves on open chamber heads to angle mill the decks, but our motors don't normally hit the revs to make such a modification practical. If you just mill them down to get a truer suface it should be ok.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info