ZZP Stattama crossover - 4t80e clearance?

Looking to turbo or twincharge my park avenue, and in my "old age" I would rather just buy and bolt something on vs making it myself. I've been looking at the ZZP stuff since I already have a front power log. My issue is that I am almost definitely going through with a 4t80e install, so I was wondering if anyone knows if that crossover (and/or downpipe) will clear the beefier transmission or if I'd be better off just buying the rear power log and fabbing up a turbo crossover and downpipe on my own. I'm no stranger to exhaust fab, I just don't have as much extra time as I used to and a little extra money laying around right now from taxes so I'm not opposed to going the ZZP route if I can confirm fitment. I have an email in to them but no response yet.

So has anybody used the stattama kit with a 4t80e? I'm more worried about the downpipe than the crossover...and I may well fab the downpipe myself anyway, I can't really see paying $600 for one...but I do want all the pre-turbo stuff to be durable and "right"...and while I can "make it work" if I build something, it usually isn't very pretty.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
youll want to fab it on your own, the zzp kits put the turbo right where the 80e trans fill is..

I know there is some play in where you can have the turbo sit with the two power logs and the z7 crossover, the main thing locking in its anglke with the zzp kit is that it has to bolt to their WG/DP perch.

so you may be able to use the crossover with it cocked upward (could always drill/tap 80e side cover for alternate fill point)

then you would just need to fab the DP and new downstream to the WG (im hoping the WG wouldn't hit anything when the crossover is twisted upward to raise the turbo)

I sorta say fab everything from Plog's down...the zzp kit is a drivers side TB compromise and sucks

Ok, so if I'm scratching the ZZP stuff off my list in favor of a couple hundred bucks of steel and some spare time, that brings me to my next question. I had been looking at just slapping the ebay GT45 on there until I could save up for a better turbo, but if I'm not spending the $1100 for the exhaust piping, that allows for a little more on the turbo budget, but I'm not entirely sure I WANT to spend more.

The V8 guys seem to love the ebay turbos, I've run an ebay 16G on one of my cars for a couple years no issues...and at $263 shipped that GT45 is basically a disposable turbo anyway. I will *probably* be twincharged and double intercooled, so I'm not too worried about exploding turbo parts getting into my engine. I've always been super interested in a twincharged setup and have some ideas for a different route to go with it than I've ever seen. I've always been an experimenter...they aren't always good experiments, I learn what NOT to do a lot, but every now and then I end up with something that actually works and then all the haters start oohing and aahing.

Anyway, what are the thoughts/experiences with turbos? My biggest concerns with the (dnamotoring) GT45 are that it isn't water cooled, and it's advertised as 1000hp, but based on the specs, it looks more like a 600hp turbo. I couldn't find many dyno sheets on it, a couple guys saying they've made around 650. My goals are higher than that. I have had the car on methanol pushing that little M90 to the ragged edge (5% crank overdrive, 2.55" pulleyed gen V with an A/C refrigerated intercooler reservoir) but will be downgrading to E85 for this turbo setup, so I basically have a 1000HP worth of E85 fuel system in place. I basically plan on doing the opposite the conventional wisdom in terms of twincharging. Instead of spinning the M90 slower to rob less power and let the turbo do the work, I want to get my little M90 spinning just as fast as I can through the early RPMs to spool that turbo and then open the bypass when the turbo hits X boost level by utilizing a boost switch, a vacuum solenoid (probably evap purge solenoid or something), and a clutch vacuum reservoir from one of my other parts cars. The turbo's wastegate will be referenced directly to manifold pressure to prevent overboosting.

In theory, I'll get instant boost pretty much off-idle (which I do currently), which should spool even a huge turbo pretty quickly, and by 3000-3500rpms the turbo will have taken over, the bypass valve opens, and the supercharger is effectively idling making only a couple pounds of boost while the turbo is doing the heavy lifting. Will it work? Maybe, maybe not...but it's a lot easier to remove the supercharger later than to build the turbo setup without it in mind and try to add it after the fact. Will be a fun experiment/learning experience. So for what I'm wanting to do, any advice on turbo selection? I do really want to go big, but I'm thinking the thing to do might be to just go with the cheapo GT45 for the "proof of concept"/experiment phase and upgrade to something more durable/larger/better later on. I'm typically one to push my stuff for all it will deliver, and I have the supporting mods for it, so I'll probably find the limits of that turbo. And maybe the limits of a 4t80e in the process.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info