GTP dies when slowing to a stop (Vid)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Looking for some pointers on this one.

Last week I changed both drive belts and plug wires (Delco) on the GTP. Soon after, the car started surging when slowing to a stop and sometimes would die all together. RPMs drop down to 300 rpm or so, shoot back up above normal idle and then it dies.

The problem only happens after the car has been running for a half hour or more. It's fine until then but after a half hour the surging and stalling is repeatable. Car fires right up after it dies. Throwing a P102 code randomly. Goes away, then comes back. Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Low Input. Not sure if it's related.

Today I cleaned the MAF, unplugged the PCM to check for corrosion and plugged it back in (seemed OK). Checked for vacuum leaks by spraying down vacuum lines, gaskets and injectors with carb cleaner. Didn't observe observe any noticeable difference while doing so. Vacuum is at 17 inches at idle when cold, though didn't have a T so couldn't check it while hot - tapped into the MAP and it wouldn't run without the MAP plugged in when hot.

Also, at idle, MAF reads 2400-2500 hz. Seems to idle fine, though occasionally seems to stumble ever so slightly. Tapping on the MAF had no change to how the car ran. I recorded some LT fuel trim data but honestly have no clue what it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRQACOSCqs

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Might have it licked. My guess is the alternator is on its way out. I hooked up a new amp to the existing wiring and 10-inch subs at the same time I messed with everything above. When the engine speed dropped and eventually died, the kick mirrored what the engine feels like when the AC compressor kicks in or you turn the wheel and the RPMs drop slightly.

Today I unhooked the under-hood fuse to the amp and the car ran fine. The RPMs drop when turning dead stopped more than they should, so I'm leaning toward alternator. Going to take it off and have it bench tested and will be looking into replacements.

The good news is that it doesn't die anymore, though there's still a little more work to be done. Also, I cleaned the MAF for the first time ever :rofl: The car is running like I remember back in the day - Billy, of course drives it now. Makes me miss the damn thing.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Does Aurora have them on the shelf or do they leave them on the car?
they have em both ways but its cheaper to yank em yerself you'll probably even find a new or newer tensioner bracket. ..idler..you name it...attack rape and pillage. ...

Is that the non clutch pulley alt? I have a brand new 04+ and a powdercoated bracket to mount it

Just looked up part numbers on RockAuto:

3342487A

don't worry about part numbers I have a 2004 clutched alternator on my 97 only because the 97 had a nearly new horizonal bolt alternator and brackets and I wanted them for something else for some damn reason

Last I checked James had about 9 alternators in his garage for the 3800's.

Ficksed

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Alternator was good. Put in a junkyard maf and new iac. Seems to be much better now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391885526591.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391885526591.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 30
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info