Whats with the silly cradle bushings on your cars?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
At work I had to do a cradle swap on a newer Monte because the dude decided it was cool to drive through a ditch and hit stuff. After I was done and I lowering the car back to the ground with the floor jack I really noticed a lot of deflection in the new bushings on this cradle. Just the rubber loading and unloading. Why cant we make solid cradle to body mounts for these cars? I see solid cradle to body on a lot of other cars and SUVs. I can only see it doing good stuff in the handling department.

And GO
[MENTION=53]Turbocharged400sbc[/MENTION]

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
James and I have talked about making them some how for my car. Or even getting poly. But I dont understand why they're not metal to metal either. I am also sure that the loose feel in my front end is the mounts. Which I dont wanna do unless they're upgraded somehow

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
shit there was probably 3/8 inch of deflection between the cradle and body.

Could this be as easy as making a top and bottom plate with a hole drilled in the center for the bolt with a sleeve inside. Then just weld the plates to the cradle so there is also no side to side movement.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
We used to offer solid subrame bushings for the SHOs. When I originally entered this market way back when I wanted to do the same for the W Bodies but I was concerned whether or not the additional torque would result in deformation of the unibody. I didn't want to find that out on a customer's car either. Honestly, with rust and everything I think the cons outweigh the pros.

The biggest improvement you generally see is steering turn-in which is vastly improved as each turn of the steering wheel isn't first compressing all of the bushings.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
brake loading the TR or any W, will result in the core support getting flexed/pulled back over a 1/4 inch...i can only figure it moves much more than that when we're actually making power.

its one of the reasons i wan the ls4 diff mount to transfer the Tq to the subframe vs just the upper core support

the only con is the noise/vibration. locking the lower unibody points solidly to the subframe would minimize deformation but the only way to minimize the upper tq arm deflection at the upper core support would be a better brace to the struts/firewall or moving the motor tq links to the subframe

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
these are stock. Not exactly a block

26.JPG

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Nearly identical to what we used to sell on the SHO. I almost wonder if you guys can make the SHO bushings work:

P8030753.JPG

You can still get them too:

SHO NUT Performance Home Page

Click "performance" then do a page search for "sub" and it will bring you to them. $100

If you end up trying them let me know. If they don't rip the subframe apart we might do a run. I bet these would be better with the aluminum subframe as well.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Nearly identical to what we used to sell on the SHO. I almost wonder if you guys can make the SHO bushings work:

P8030753.JPG

You can still get them too:

SHO NUT Performance Home Page

Click "performance" then do a page search for "sub" and it will bring you to them. $100

If you end up trying them let me know. If they don't rip the subframe apart we might do a run. I bet these would be better with the aluminum subframe as well.

If he gives measurement I can compare to the 06 Monte subframe I have at work

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Crap, it's been 8 years. I don't remember. I feel like the ring were better because that's what we switched to.

What I remember is that the solid mounts made as much trouble as good unless the car was a dedicated track car.

What was mostly done was to use the Gen 3 SHO rear mounts on all 4 corners.

I've got several cars running that setup and quite happy.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah a male and female spacer like those is what i had in mind

i looked under the TR for a bit and i have two 7/8ths titanium plates that will work up front and several 3/4inch titanium plates for the rear pucks.

if your looking to "tighten" it up...you have to yank the upper steel portion (looks like a plunger with the head flipped up) and cut the shank down so it will clamp on the bushings more.

you could always make a negative mold and use the diy urethane...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info