3800 L36 -> L67 swap

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Wondering if it was possible. Do they both have the same mounts, and what will I need to change out? Is there anything on a GTP that isn't on a GT because its supercharged? I was thinking on just keeping my GT badged as is, and swap in an L67 crate motor straight from a GTP. Actually, I was thinking that since it was already out of the car to put in/on a cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, headers, and maybe just an M90 or something. How about that, a 12 second GT? :)

Right now, the only parts I know I need (it's a complete motor, straight from a GTP) are:

L67
GTP PCM (maybe get it from the same car, but might not be able to)
Performance shift button

Anything else? I was looking at the used GTP motors (junkyard), and for one with only like 60k miles on it, its $800...running.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Thanks for the site Ripn

ThaLord - He just put on a CSC, I'm pretty sure theres no L67 in there :) .

Also, I'm sure I can get the trans with the L67, if not, I'll get that -HD conversion. Thanks.

This would make a nice "don't touch my shit, it's not yours" project to do at school where my friend and I basically do everything, and no one can touch, only watch.

I noticed the price of all this stuff isn't huge, and if you were to have someone do it for you, 80-90% of the cost would be labor. Hmm.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Dec 21 2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the site Ripn

ThaLord - He just put on a CSC, I'm pretty sure theres no L67 in there :) .

Also, I'm sure I can get the trans with the L67, if not, I'll get that -HD conversion. Thanks.

This would make a nice "don't touch my shit, it's not yours" project to do at school where my friend and I basically do everything, and no one can touch, only watch.

I noticed the price of all this stuff isn't huge, and if you were to have someone do it for you, 80-90% of the cost would be labor. Hmm.
I will also say Blitzu has the L67 in his car. Ive only asked him a billion questions. :D You can get all your info on l67swap.com, or there is a list in the L36 forums on clubgp.

What do you want to know????

First off, yes there is a L67 in the car.

Second here is a breakdown off what I suggest you will need...

I ran the car with the original GT trans in it for a long time with no other problems... but the catch is you need to either get the reluctor wheel changed in the trans, or get custom PCM work done. ( I did the reluctor wheel because that was the only thing available at the time, even before INTENSE was around) After my rebulid I put in a THRASHER racing tranny.

So if you decide to keep your GT trany get one of those two things done, if you do get a GTP trans (4T65-HD) note that you need to get the passanger side axle for the HD trans, it is shorter than the GT's axle because of the Differencial being larger on the HD version.

You will be able to keep the exsisting wire harness you have but you will have to add a few electronic connectors which on of our Sponser's here (Casper's Electronics) can supply you.
1- adapter for the MAP sensor (the GT's map sensor is different from the GTP's)
1- plug for the blow off valve which one wire you will have to run to a 12 volt supply (easily found as the pink wire on the coil pack) and the other wire to the PCM whic Casper's will supply the proper pin number and a pin attached to the end of the wire for easy installation.
1- wire to the PCM to ground to enable performance shift if you want it... I would suggest putting in a switch in between so you could enable and disable it at your convienence. (I cant spell)

You can keep your exsisting power steering pump, and AC. Simple bolt on.

You will also probally want to get the GTP's flywheel, but keep the GT's torque converter since the stall is higher on it.

I would also suggest getting either a GTP fuel pump, or a Walpro pump.... walpro is probally the cheaper and easier way of doing it. Again the walpro pump wasnt an option when I did my swap... I was looking to try somthing stronger but no luck so I was stuck with the GTP's pump which is still holding me consistantly in the 12's.

You will have to relocate some wiring and cap off one or two vaccum hoses since the GT is alittle bit different in that aspect, but the only thing that does is make the underhood look alittle bit messier.

You will need a GTP's PCM... talk to Charles (another Sponser of ours... DHP) for that he will be able to get you running right.

Other than that the DIC will light up with performance shift without any other adjustments... and with all of that you should have a good idea where to start.

I bled so that others would have a easier path :)

If you need any help feel free to ask. [email protected]

-Jared

Ohh almost forgot.. dont forget to get another belt for the supercharger ;)

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by DaytonaPaceCar@Dec 21 2003, 08:53 PM
Let me know if there is anything else you need.
Help? lol

Anyways, I'll keep that in mind. L67 is sounding nice. Only thing about the help is, how about you help me do it all? :) How much would you charge to co-install this with me? 2 man job would make it a lot easier when someone has already done it before. Not like this is a simple 1hr swap to do or anything, but it could easily save quite a few with you there. :p

Oh hell, lets just gut the car, coat my car with a bunch of sponsor's stickers to help pay a good amount, and get it into the low 11s :(

But yeah, help would be real nice...I'm just worried on the cost for your labor, cause it's gonna be expensive as it is.

Why don't you do this... first make sure this is exactly what you want to do to your car.

Then, get all the parts together, and make some final decisions on what you want to do with the trans.

After that I have no problem lending a hand to help you get it done, and I know there are A LOT of competent people here who would also be willing to lend a hand. There are many talented peeps in this club who go way out of their way to help out one another, and as long as you are serious and prove you are by getting all the parts together, there will be people here to help.

So basically it rests on you....

I would honestly say a CSC is the way to go... I had no other options when I did mine, and if I had to do it over again now I would have been turboing my GT.... but that is just me. I say if you really want a fast car, and the easiest method to go by is just slapping on a CSC.... more bang for your buck by far.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Argh this is hard shit. Sorry I'm all over the place with what I want to do guys, I'm just laying out my possibilities. It's hard considering I cant just sell my car and get a GTP or something, and that I'm on a $2500 budget.

The only thing is...I just simply cant afford a CSC. And thats spending ALL of my money for just a low 60hp gain isnt really worth it.

As for a turbo, somehow I think it'll just cause a lot of problems. Don't they need a cool-down period before you can shut your car off? Not to mention there are no kits available for our cars today, and I REALLY don't feel like making my car a test dummy. There is one from INTENSE, but its not on the market last i checked, and it's still a prototype.

I would love to do the L67 swap, and emailed about 5 places looking for a competent engine. I did get 1 reply already:

i have a 1997 bonneville engine with 48,000 miles
oil pressure 45
compression 165 165 165 170 170 165
supercharger has been sold off this engine
$700 at our chicago location

Is that worth it? I dont know where I'm gonna get a supercharger from, I can only think someone on this board having 3 of them...maybe I can snatch one from you if I do this?

Here are my 5 choices:

L67 Swap good: supercharged, GTP in GT trim, lower cost than CSC and maybe N/A, lot more parts available, 13 sec car off the bat before mods, mod engine while out of car before swap, making cam and other internals easier to do
L67 Swap bad: TONS of work, lots of little things that can go wrong, gathering all the parts, installing it would be a pain, cost could add up over my budget very quickly, getting necessary tools could be very hard

CSC good: lots of possible power, still in GT trim, 12 sec car possible
CSC bad: more money than I can afford, very expensive to make any decent power

L36 upgrade good: still NA, maybe lowest cost, can upgrade per my budget
L36 upgrade bad: only 14 second car if I'm lucky, lots of work and money for smaller gains

turbocharge good: fast as hell, very original, underestimated in street racing if I dont pop, possible sponsorship?
turbocharge bad: test dummy, everything could go wrong putting me out of a lot of money, none on the market today, problems extremely possible/almost guaranteed from new design, could get very, very, very expensive

GP daily driver and buy new monte good: my dream car, possible to just make into a daily driven 11 second NA car for under $6000 total, no computers/electronics to keep costs very high, sex machine B) , $2500 cash for a nice one
GP daily driver and buy new monte bad: problems with my step dad (would have to keep it at my real dad's house for awhile), maybe only a winter car, could get very expensive, have to pay insurance on 2 cars

Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Dec 22 2003, 02:45 PM

L67 Swap good: supercharged, GTP in GT trim, lower cost than CSC and maybe N/A, lot more parts available, 13 sec car off the bat before mods
All of that somewhat seems reasonable.... but this I dont understand.... You will have a low 15 sec car with a stock motor, maybe at best a mid 14 sec car. The 3.29 gears dont do that much... maybe a tenth at most off of your time.

malaka

Dec 22, 2008
Just did an L67 swap into my 01 Monte (Thanks to Big Snoop) , and got the Engine with 18k miles on it with the wiring harness and PCM for $1200. I found the motor on www.car-part.com if your interested. Trust me it's worth it. I also had the csc on my car before I did the swap, and will have it up for sale after x-mas if your interested in going that route.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by blitzu+Dec 22 2003, 08:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (blitzu @ Dec 22 2003, 08:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-iliveonnitro@Dec 22 2003, 02:45 PM

L67 Swap good:  supercharged, GTP in GT trim, lower cost than CSC and maybe N/A, lot more parts available, 13 sec car off the bat before mods
All of that somewhat seems reasonable.... but this I dont understand.... You will have a low 15 sec car with a stock motor, maybe at best a mid 14 sec car. The 3.29 gears dont do that much... maybe a tenth at most off of your time. [/b][/quote]
You lost me man. My car with what I have done to it most likely only pulls about a 15.7 if I get a good launch.

Where did the 3.29 gears come into play? I was just thinking that my car would do 13's with the L67 in it.

Either way, I was talking to Leo about this turbo setup, and it's really looking tempting for $2500.

The guy will install a turbo on my car, all tuning and stuff, and give me about 300whp. It's a nice turbo, detuned to about 80% so it doesn't tear up the motor.

As long as there's some warranty against defects, it's suprisingly looking to be my best bet. Especially considering: how many other grand prix's do you know besides the INTENSE one(s) that are turbocharged?

I could also probably still do some other internal mods when I scrape up the money after the install, like stronger springs (110lb?), tough pushrods, lifters and maybe some rockers to put out even more hp, and get me to spool to higher RPM's.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by blitzu@Dec 22 2003, 08:41 PM
You will have a low 15 sec car with a stock motor, maybe at best a mid 14 sec car. The 3.29 gears dont do that much... maybe a tenth at most off of your time.
Ohhhh, you meant with the L67.

Since it was missing a blower, if I were to get one, I would right off the bat get an eaton Gen 3 snout or a ported/polished M90 one and smaller pulley so it saves me money in the long run.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info