Is my O2 sensor going cold?

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Over the summer I installed a set of headers and have been learning to tune with HPTuners. I'm running into a problem. From time to time, the oxygen sensor quits cycling and stays very lean. The LTFT's go very high as well. Seems to happen if it idles long or when driving at a light cruise.

When I first noticed this, I changed the O2 sensor with a new Denso unit. Didn't help. If anything, it's worse.

The headers are TOGS and the O2 sensor now sits a lot further downstream than on the stock manifold. Is the placement of the sensor too far downstream to keep it hot enough? I know the sensor is heated, but I can't figure out what else could be going on.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
EGR is still in place and working.

I know I have read that even with stock manifolds, that prolonged idle will allow the o2 sensor to cool and send the ECM into open loop. I assume with the headers and the sensor that much further downstream, it's even more likely.

When the sensor is working (switching), things look great and I started to dial in my LTFT's. But when I go for a drive these "cold periods" get collected by the histograms and throw the results off. If it happens long enough, the check engine comes on (lean code).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info