3800 Computer peeps....

ok, i have dsl in my house on one computer. last night i went to best buy and bought a wireless roughter and a wireless card for my computer. i inserted the setup wizard disk and went through all the steps of setting up the router. (yes, i am setting the router to the computer that receives the dsl.) everything was cool. one of the last steps wouldn't work. it would try and connect but couldn't find a connection. i found these detailed steps on how to find the ip address and lan connections and i did all of them. so then i redid everything and it still wouldn't find a connection. i really know little about all this stuff. what would be the solution for the router not being able to find the connection? any help? i undid everything and set the dsl back up to normal. please help. i need the dsl in my room baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad :D thanks

zack

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
What type of router is it?.

With your DSL router. DO you have static IP address?

First remove the wireless router from the system and start from scratch. Check to see if you have a connection to the internet.

If you do have a connection to the internet you can start from here.

Hit the start button and go to the run command. ONce you get there in the dialog box type in command.
This will take you to the DOS screen.
When you are here type this in ipconfig

You will get your IP ADDRESS
subnet mask
DEFAULT GATEWAY

Write all these numbers down.

Now disconnect your DSL router from the system.
Directly connect your WIRELESS router to your P.C. now using the GUI interface set the wireless router with the address of the P.C. on the WAN side.

Now for the LAN side you will need to set up an ip address scope for your PC's to use. Or you can enable DHCP ( not good for security reasons) Also enable encryption.

No you can hook up the DSL ROUTER to the WIRELESS ROUTER..To your PC..

NOw your PC will obtain an IP addy from the wireless router. if you are using DHCP. If you are not you need to manually configure an IP address that you have on reserve from you IP address scope you had set up on the wireless router..!!!

D'OH!!! wow i just read this and I am confused..LOL!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Z
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list