hydroboost?

Xfirez51

Fast BoyZ of IllinoiZ
Jan 1, 2013
Northwest Chicagoland
Same guy is on Corvette forums touting the benefits of HB. I currently have Z06 fronts brakes on my ZR and will be installing the rears later this year. Hydro boost claims I'll need their stuff because of the increased # of pistons. However, the Camaro master seems to be a good alternative. I haven't noticed any problem with the stock ZR master handling the front Z06 brakes.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
big difference in the sizing of the hydraulic master between the two different power assist systems as the hydroboost can generate higher pushrod pressure than even the best double diaphragm vac boosters that aren't 2 ft in dia.

a hydroboost assist can run a larger bore dia than the vac assist as not as much hydraulic leverage is needed with the extra force generated by the hydroboost.

its got benefits and drawbacks just as the vac system does.

the problem is the cost of the unit and the custom lines to plumb it in as well as welding in a firewall plate to bolt it to.

that one fella with the MGBM pace car had fabbed the unit and mount but had never gotten to plumbing the system together.

its a crapload of work for something that the biggest benefit is more room to run a downpipe

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Personally if I were going to do this I'd be thinking about using one from an 83-85 "T" as mentioned or one from an Astro van. You can still get the hoses etc. from the yard easy for the latter, and if the lengths are good you should be able to install this in vehicles with M18 Saginaw pressure lines without too much trouble. Worse comes to worse cut the hydralic lines up and get some new ones made at Napa. The amount they want for a full setup is a bit of a rip though IMO since it's mostly OEM parts. I'm also willing to kludge something together and do the engineering myself which makes a huge difference. Besides that I also have an Astro van which means it's a bolt in option for me. If I do power in the Lemans, it will probably be hydro because I'll swap to power steering as well.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
there is no write up for a GP but you have to permanently modify the firewall

here's the only GP i know of with it and its not even plumbed. http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=5913188&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

also dont forget that youll likely have to replace your PS pump with one of the aftermarket 2nd gen saginaw pumps with higher pressure/volume to drive the brake booster and PS without "sagging" at idle/lower rpm's where youll lose brake assist/ps as pressure drops from lack of volume.

so be prepared to drop even more money on top of what you spend on the booster/lines/hoses just to get it to work.

it was craploads easier for me to cut and shim/reweld the vac brake booster on the TR to gain an extra inch of DP room...if thats the primary reason you want to go to the smaller hydroboost unit

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD
My swapped M3 runs Hydroboost. Very straight forward install, bolted right up to the firewall. Used Pirtek to make my high pressure lines. In my case it was necessary in order to keep the engine centered.

IMG_20120417_125141.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info