Reprogramming Cluster

Okay, so I'd much rather not pay out the ass at a dealer to have a cluster reprogrammed to display the correct odometer reading...

I bought an 00-05 Monte/Impala SS gauge cluster. My cluster displays my actual miles of ~160k. The new cluster displays ~210k.

I couldn't think of a reason why the team at GM who designs the clusters WOULD PROGRAM THE ODOMETER READING DIRECTLY INTO THE GODDAMN CLUSTER AND NOT IN SOMETHING LIKE THE ECU/BCM!!!

/rantover

I have been made aware that there is a federal law that prevents tampering with odometer readings. EXCEPT, I'm not looking to reduce the mileage, or modify it in any way, I just want to match it up with what I have right now, so when I replace the cluster after my top-swap, its accurate.

Anyone?

Swap in the new cluster, then swap the old one back in when you want to sell the car :rofl:

Yeah, that would be what the Fed Odometer Act covers... THAT would be illegal...

I tried swapping the odo from my bonne cluster into the new one with the boost gauge and all i did is swap screens cause Im a newb.

Lol. I thought about that and assumed I would do exactly that and nothing else... thanks for the confirmation! Lol

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
even if you take it to a dealer all they might do is put a sticker in the door saying you put a new cluster reading ... when you had ... so to calculate the difference for actual mileage and not actually change the mileage on the cluster.

or wait 50k miles and put it in

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
AJR International, Inc

Address: 300 Regency Dr, Glendale Heights, IL 60139
Phone:(630) 832-0222

They'll take care of you.

I walked in with my old cluster that I removed in the parking lot and the new one, paid $40, waited 15 minutes, and left with matching mileages and a few new knobs for my Astro's radio.

Good people! They can also fix lights that have burnt out in the interior parts (switches/radio/hvac/etc)

They're stupid easy to remove, I'm sure you might know that.. if not, they're 4 phillips head screws. One at each corner of the cluster.

2012-03-26115302.jpg

When you're done there, you'll be looking at this. :bigthumb:

2012-03-26132305.jpg

That was actually one of my favorite mods. I found the place on an Avalanche forum of all places. BBEngineer on NAIOA is the only person I know of who has the equipment to do the mileage transfers.. but the dude is a fucking doofus. It's pretty much plug and play.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info