3800 cam questions

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Which cam is a little more powerful then the VS?

Now that im thinking about it, I want to get a little more bang for my buck then the VS will give me.

I was thinking the XP cam from zoomer, or, the intense 1xcam?

any thoughts?

Yes, i do plan on gettting a new HD trans w 3.29 gears from miker too! ;)

Stats:

CAM-671 - INTENSE™ Stage 1X Blower Cam, duration @ .050": 210º/221º, lobe lifts: .321"/.329", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .514"/.526", lobe separation angle: 115º, intake centerline: 111º (+$50.00)

XP CAM
212°/224° at .050"
Intake Lift .325" (.520" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
Exhaust Lift .335" (.536" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
116 Lobe Separation

I

imported_Diavolo

The 1X is slightly "more aggressive" than the VS. The XP is above that and the XP from Zoomer is supposed to be the most aggresive. I don't know how the comp cam Extreme cams are though.

If Zoom can run the VS until high 11's. I am content with it B)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by Diavolo@Dec 10 2003, 11:49 PM
The 1X is slightly "more aggressive" than the VS. The XP is above that and the XP from Zoomer is supposed to be the most aggresive. I don't know how the comp cam Extreme cams are though.

If Zoom can run the VS until high 11's. I am content with it B)
Id call him extremly modded though.

I think If he had a more agresive cam hed be faster! :)

I

imported_snoop

the 1X cam is a little bigger just on the exhaust side. other than that, i dont know what you are lookin for or how aggressive you want to go with stock heads. are you going to get head work done in the future? then i would say go for the thrasher or XP or some other aggressive cam out there. but i think the VS or the 1X cams are perfect though for "minimal" modding meaning no nothing has to be done.(springs, heads, etc.)

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
i bought the stage 2 from intense and i have stock heads, with 105lb valve springs, milled(.030") titanium retainers, and O.R. pushrods. we'll see how everything goes when i put it in.
but as far as a cam for you, i'd go with the XP, you have to do the same work for both of em and the XP is beefier than the 1x any way you look at it

I

imported_snoop

the 1X and VS cam are made for stock heads and components meaning no springs, or any mods done to the retainers. but then again, my brother has a cam about as big as the XP cam. he has the stage 1 GT cam from the old grand prix store. but he has springs and yada yada yada. but that is cool if you are looking to change all of those things. if not, then you have to go with the 1X or VS cam

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
the XP is WAY to much cam in my opinion for stock heads (springs, retainers) and no porting.
i do plan on duing the following, 3.29 trans, cam, Rocker rollers, pushrods, springs, retainers.
he wont have stock springs and retainers though, so it will be alright

also, i have already talked to scott and zooomer extensively about the xp and stage 2 cams and what is required to run them, and with springs and retainers you will be fine, however, to see even better gains out of the cam a set of ported heads will help, but are not required.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Dec 10 2003, 08:13 PM
Which cam is a little more powerful then the VS?

Now that im thinking about it, I want to get a little more bang for my buck then the VS will give me.

I was thinking the XP cam from zoomer, or, the intense 1xcam?

any thoughts?

Yes, i do plan on gettting a new HD trans w 3.29 gears from miker too! ;)

Stats:

CAM-671 - INTENSE™ Stage 1X Blower Cam, duration @ .050": 210º/221º, lobe lifts: .321"/.329", valve lifts with 1.60:1 rocker arms: .514"/.526", lobe separation angle: 115º, intake centerline: 111º (+$50.00)

XP CAM
212°/224° at .050"
Intake Lift .325" (.520" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
Exhaust Lift .335" (.536" lift at 1.6:1 rocker ratio)
116 Lobe Separation
Any cam you choose should be installed with new springs as a minimum...rods are optional but a good idea while it's all apart. Any cam (including TEPs) can be run on completely unmachined heads with lower retainers; you just won't be getting as much of the cam's full potential on the stock heads. Buying a new cam is crazy...there's tons of em on sale in the clubGP classifieds, just search back a few weeks. A guy in Michigan posted about being happy to get $200 for his TEP w/less than 5k miles on it and another guy (forget the location) was almost giving his HL cam away.

I

imported_snoop

any cam bigger than the 1X or VS is overkill on a stock head; meaning no porting. i am not trying to start anything here, just my opinion. with a big lopey cam you need to port the head to get all the extra stuff coming in out. my brother has a big cam with no porting and his car is a beast, but he needed the springs also. it all depends on what you want to do and spend. to me, it is a win-win situation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list