Tires for the Turbonne

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Welp, was trying to make them last until Fall, but just got a screw in the shoulder of the shitty Assurance tires on the bonnie. Im not sure what type of tire to go with. Id like at least 255 wide and they are 16" wheels. All I can find in that size are basically summer only tires. I am looking for something a little stickier than stock junk, but still something i can use in the winter. Looks like more options at 245, might be going that route I guess.

What do you prix guys run?

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I have 245/50 Kumho Ecsta ASX's. They've been a pretty decent tire at all seasons, never had an issue in the snow or rain.

Rich17 had em on his Lumina, and he drives like the Stig in a reasonably priced car compared to me....and they held up fine for him I think :rofl:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Billy's GTP has Pirelli P4 tires. They're great year-round and have decent dry traction. Only available in stock size, though. This test and a discount happening at the time (3-4 years ago) led me to the P4's. I believe they're still holding up well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=96

Might not be aggressive enough for turbo power. They certainly ride nice and are quiet.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I think im going to go with a new kuhmo PA31. It seems to be a decent all around at a good price. I dont want a really sticky tire cause if I dead hook this thing the 4t60e is going to shatter most likely. I am not boosting it too much now anyway, 5psi max. Once this trans meets its demise and this bitch get an 80e Ill go to separate winter and summer tires.

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
Leaning towards the Pirelli P4s as it doesnt seem to be many performance tires in a 225/60/16

I had the ASXs in 235-60-16 as the 225 looked too small. Oddly the 235 was cheaper at the time too.

I hear nothing but good on General's Altimax and Continental DWS. Those Kumho PA31s looked siped like mad, might be good in snow if the tread isn't too hard.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Holy shit, I don't know if those dry-rotten Assurances' were that bad, or these Pirellis are awesome, but this is a whole different car. Rides so much better, doesn't bounce up and down after bumps like RR tracks like a boat anymore. Feels more stable at all speeds up to 65 so far, will see how they feel on the highway on the way home later. Cornering improved a ton, but its still a huge heavy bitch so that is what it is. Happy so far, just hope they wear decently.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info