Voltage issue

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
so last Thursday at Lukes, my car died on me. I changed the alternator and got a new battery on warranty thinking that doing one or both both of those would fix the problem.

still have the issue.

sometimes at stoplights now the car nearly dies and the lights flicker and I can't even touch the brakes on top of all this because the voltage keeps going on like 11..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZFf29-QGeU

I'm stumped on what it could be. If anybody has any ideas please help me out

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Probably a bad/dirty ground.

You're a dipshit for replacing the alternator and battery without diagnosing the issue first :roflpicard:

Battery wouldn't hold a charge. Luckily I bought one earlier this year. Was able to warranty it out. New one was bouncing around too so I thought I would try a different alternator, thinking that since the power system has two major components I could nip the problem. Nope.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
run one from the battery to the inner fender clean off the paint with sand paper or a grinder also run one from there to the ground stud on the lower front of the trans to engine block it already has a couple wires on it you will see it its the lowest bolt in front and has a stud with another nut on it, then run another one also off that stud to the fender on the other side thats as good of a ground as your ever going to get, use thick wire, i like 2 gauge you can just buy wire and ends and make your own

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I took it in for a diagnostic to find out what was wrong. They quoted me around six hundred dollars worth of work and that included throttle body gasket new supercharger gasket and manifold gaskets all of which were recently done. I explained that on the phone and said I did not wish to have that written performed at the time seeing I just did it. This dealership had a loaner which I needed for work while they did a diagnosis of something that I ended up fixing with a new EGR tube and mis-diagnosed the car. When I went to get the car in the parking lot it didn't want to start and ground the starter and a few weeks later the battery went totally flat one night and I wasn't able to recharge it. Warranteed the battery and it began jumping around again voltage wise. Alternator was putting out weird voltages at the regulator so I went ahead and replaced it. Never even thinking that they might've done something so I would come back again for more money on their end. I replaced the starter in March and I know those cables were tight. Thus I never looked. Maybe that caused the whole problem though. It all started when the car left that dealership after I declined the ticket they wanted me to pay for and do the work that wasn't necessary. So maybe stop being a dick. I should more than be able to depend on a dealership for a diagnostic on something, for fucks sakes they're the ones who sell the cars they should know how to work on them. J can afford it if need be.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info