3800 Attn: power users

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Ok, here it is. Windows XP home on a Athlon XP 1800 OC'd to 150mhz at 1.73 gig. This WAS running stable, but now having trouble with it. My temps are low enough (only seeing MAX 109 deg F on the CPU). What happens is when I boot up, I get to the windows xp start thingy, then it goes blank and the welcome screen does not appear. Even will hang trying to go into safe mode. I've tried pulling the RAM, to see if it was the problem, but it seems ok. If I reload windows from the disk it will boot up, but eventually will start acting up again. I'm running out of paitience working on this thing constantly. Anyone have any ideas?

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Dec 8 2003, 02:36 PM
Ok, here it is. Windows XP home on a Athlon XP 1800 OC'd to 150mhz at 1.73 gig. This WAS running stable, but now having trouble with it. My temps are low enough (only seeing MAX 109 deg F on the CPU). What happens is when I boot up, I get to the windows xp start thingy, then it goes blank and the welcome screen does not appear. Even will hang trying to go into safe mode. I've tried pulling the RAM, to see if it was the problem, but it seems ok. If I reload windows from the disk it will boot up, but eventually will start acting up again. I'm running out of paitience working on this thing constantly. Anyone have any ideas?
blaster virus ?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Nope, removed it. Also thought it may be some sort of Trojan horse, possibly messing with loading drivers. I just called an old band buddy that owns a computer data recovery company, and we went over some of the details. If I try to boot in safe mode it shows what drivers are loading, then hangs on IPVMon.sys. He did a lookup, and it seems this is related to my SBC dialup, and others have had problems with this. This started happening after I was going apesh!t tying to get it to boot fast (registry cleansing) I got my boot time down to 20 sec, but then crashed it. I assume my registry settings would be refreshed after a windows reload.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It isn't a clean boot unfortunately. I need to get another HD before I can do that. I have been working on an album for about a year and a half, with some songs up to 80 tracks now. All that info is on my drive, and can't back it up because the files are too large. I'm going to have to put this on the backburner for about a week, I'm going to Vegas tomorrow on business and won't be back for a week. I'll definately give a call when I get back though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list