Need help asap..p0171 after o2 sim install

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Installed an o2 sim on the car since its throwing codes with a high flow cat, and now it's giving me this..What should I do at this point.

rujesyje.jpg

The car needs to pass emissions by Friday. Can anyone in the area just turn off the rear o2 and I'll pay for it? I'm strapped for options. I can't afford anything else at this point and the shit is hitting the fan

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Tried that last year on the Impala which had the same code pop up, no idea what caused it on there.. cleared the code, and the o2 / catalyst system popped an "incomplete" and it failed emissions. Luckily, I bought this car like two days after that happened and ditched that car.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
They don't charge money to test emissions.

Or are you saying this code has been on all this time? Or did it just start after you replaced you LIM gasket. When did you install the high flow cat? The whole story would help.
In the thread title, I said it popped this code *after* I put an o2 emulator/simulator in there.

Last december, I put a 3" ZZP catted downpipe on the car since it was cheaper than any local shop to put a normal run of the mill convertor on it. After that, it got a "Threshold" code (don't remember the number) but people told me to do an o2 cheater. Tried that, but the angle that the o2 bung is on the downpipe it wouldn't clear. So I bought and installed an o2 simulator from ZZP and now this code is happening.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/3800-discussion/131552-emissions-coming-up.html

I have been chasing down this issue now for a while.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
The one after the cat.

I don't believe that is bank 1. Bank 1, as someone else had posted already, is in the manifolds. So really, the installation of the simulator and the code don't seem to be related.

You have a lean issue somewhere and I would guess it's from your recent gasket project. You may have a vac leak somewhere (vac line or manifold). Or your O2 sensor (rear manifold) got banged up. Or you have a fuel delivery issue.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
My buddy Tim thinks it is an o2 sensor. Ordered a denso o2 for the upstream (manifold), will replace when it comes and report back.. hope it works. Other than that, Idunno what it'd be. I replaced every single vacuum line with all new GM lines when I did the LIM gaskets. So sick of 3800s.

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
They changed the scanning procedure on the tests and if you turn off your cats or 02 sensors you will still fail. A not supported in those fields is now a failure and was not before. Causing big problems for a lot of people right now.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Times 2 on vacuum leak. I'm guessing your LTFT's are high as shit. I just had the same problem. Not necessarily the vacuum lines, could be your blower or TB leaking a the gasket too.

I've been running the same Denso for a few years and am about to put a new one in this week. Mike K sells them so they must be good.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
I'm a little concerned about this emissions deal too. I have another year but I have always passed with a rear O2 sim and my EGR codes set to non reporting. I would think you should be fine. The O2 sim sends the same signal as a properly functioning rear O2 so I don't know how they would know the difference.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
They changed the scanning procedure on the tests and if you turn off your cats or 02 sensors you will still fail. A not supported in those fields is now a failure and was not before. Causing big problems for a lot of people right now.

fuck me sideways. so what should i do. have a new o2 bung welded in at an angle where i can use a plug anti fouler to cheat the rear o2? that's the whole reason i couldn't use the o2 cheater mod before.

You didn't turn those off.

Once you fix your lean condition, you should be ok to test if your anti-fouler works and doesn't throw a code for your cat O2 sensor.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

No kidding? Are they issuing any fines to folks who've been found to have this in place on their cars?

Boostie

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
No kidding? Are they issuing any fines to folks who've been found to have this in place on their cars?

Not too sure what is going on but people are failing the same way if they had a CEL on. There is a emissions thread on CMC where a lot of this is unfolding. A couple tuners have said that there is really no quick fix as of now. There are a few people who's registration has been suspended due to time and others who have swapped exhausts and flashed the stock tune on to pass. Really a sad situation. The two things that they are monitoring is the 02 sensor and cat converter sections. Most off road tunes have them as "not supported" and if your car came stock with both they arent allowing it to pass. I haven't had to do emissions lately so I dont have any first hand experience but this seems to be what is going on. The change happened within the last month.

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
System too lean means the car has been adding fuel to the fuel trims, and it is passed the threshold that it will set a code for (IIRC GM's threshold is 23 or 25%, but don't quote me on that). This can easily be caused by a vacuum leak. The vacuum leak causes the engine to take in air that doesn't go through the MAF sensor. So the amount of fuel that the engine thinks it needs (based on how much air the engine thinks it's pulling in) is incorrect. the o2 sensor sees that the engine is running lean, and the PCM adds fuel to the STFT (Short term fuel trim). If the problem persists long enough (it really doesn't take that long), the PCM will add fuel to the LTFT (long term fuel trim) and pull fuel out of the STFT. Can your scan tool view PIDS like the MAF Grams/sec, fuel trims, injector pulse width, etc?

They would pass you if the car said not supported for a catalyst, or o2 sensor?? I always thought they would fail you for that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info