3800 Need info on rockers.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
OK...what is the stock size?

I know you can upgrade to 1.9's

I was just reading on clubgp about the 4rd generation roller rockers.

Now, if you go with a cam...depending on the cam, the highest rocker you can go is 1.7 I THINK....not 100% sure on this.

But what is the difference between a remachined rocker(I know they are modified stock ones)

and a roller rocker.

What is it a roller rocker does?

I remember Hale putting up pics of his new roller rockers on the other ilgpc board and was wondering.

This is going to be a future mod someday for me and I am just trying to gather info.

THanks.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Roller rockers have a "roller" on the end of the rocker so that the rocker is draging across the retainer, it rolls across. A remachined rocker is different fromt he roller rockers in that it doesn't have the rocker.

You CAN go larger than 1.7 with a cam... but you will need to get head work done. (imo you should get the head work done if you are getting a cam anyhow. Why go half assed??) If you want to keep your heads stock then you can only go 1.7 on some of the cams. Others i think you actually have to stay with the stock ratio, but you can get them in less parasitic variety. (rollers)

If you are going to go the cam route you should get your heads remachined to take advantage of the cam to the greatest degree. That is going to become the choke point in your system otherwise.

BC

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
going back to my old post... with these rockers and these valve springs/retainers 105lb load.... would get heavier? or lose some hp?

gen3_pro1_re.jpg

wb3021.jpg

sorry if this was answered but still trying to understand this..

"Still a Student" :(

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The roller rockers are stiffer than the stockers, so distortion and deflection aren't an issue. You will run truer to the advertised ratio and be better balaced at the top end. For any high RPM engine a stiff valvetrain is a must. The drawback is the high ratio, personally I would run a cam with a stock ratio roller rocker with a cam if possible. The extra strain on the valvetrain from the highr lift rocker is not optimal for upper rpm dependablity. With rollers and a stiff cam, I could run my Pontiac 428 up to 7000rpm and occasionally to 8grand without breaking any valvetrain parts. I'd be afraid to push a high lift rocker past 6000-6500 rpm without breaking something. The very best possible setup is to go with a shaft mounted rocker or a stud girdle, but I don't think there are any available yet for the 3800 engine, plus you would need a taller valve cover to run either of them.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Hale those rockers are the shit. 7k is a big number, my motor was only making power to 6500, but When I'd lose traction it'd shoot up to7-8K so it's always better to have that high of a ceiling. If I had the money, those are the rockers to get. Fredo, the LS1 can be used, it's just got less seat pressure than the 130's, I believe IIRC, that the LS1 is at 105lbs.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I was talking to MIKER about my VS cam install and he told me to go with LS1 retainers????, I think 105lb springs, roller rockers, and some new intense pushrods.....??

What do you guys think?

Some of the info may be slightly off, cause I havent look at that PM in a long time.

But still, LS1 retainers? How much for a set of 12?

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Why exactly is head work needed for higher ratio rockers and a cam? Wouldn't, if anything, the valves hit the pistons from such a high overall lift?

Also, the streetability of a GP with a cam and higher ratio rockers would be beyond shitty, the car would start having problems at low RPM, and if left to idle for too long, would probably stall. But also,

I was wondering about rockers myself. Are the ZZP ER rockers for the L36 still 1.9 ratio, and how much are they going for + core (that page is down for some reason). What other valvetrain mods would you guys recommend besides the rockers and light weight INTENSE pushrods? Would the $80 valves that ZZP is offering be a noticable improvement, or should I spend the $80 elsewhere?

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Dec 4 2003, 08:12 PM
Why exactly is head work needed for higher ratio rockers and a cam? Wouldn't, if anything, the valves hit the pistons from such a high overall lift?

Also, the streetability of a GP with a cam and higher ratio rockers would be beyond shitty, the car would start having problems at low RPM, and if left to idle for too long, would probably stall. But also,

I was wondering about rockers myself. Are the ZZP ER rockers for the L36 still 1.9 ratio, and how much are they going for + core (that page is down for some reason). What other valvetrain mods would you guys recommend besides the rockers and light weight INTENSE pushrods? Would the $80 valves that ZZP is offering be a noticable improvement, or should I spend the $80 elsewhere?
anyone know?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info