3800 Anyone know alot about Wireless Routers & Cards

BLK00GTP

Regular
Jan 20, 2009
Schaumburg
I have the Linksys 802.11b setup (Router and Card for my laptop)
So last night i wanted to see how far the signal will travel. My friend was also over with his laptop and since i dont have my router encrypted yet he can receive my signal from his card which is a D-Link 802.11b. Well we get into his car and start driving towards my buddies apartment down the street (to see if he can get my signal for his apartment which is pretty close to mine) I dropped signal maybe 35 feet outside my apartment and my friend still had a signal and it was at very good strength to....Well we keep driving down the street for about another 100ft until he lost his signal. My question is why his D-Link still gets my signal from my router and my Linksys card which is the same maker as my router doesnt recieve the signal. I have tried manually changing the channels to see if that works but it doesnt. His card would automatically look for a stronger signal and mine wouldn't. Does anyone know any tricks to help me get stronger signals.

Also when i had the 128bit encription last week is was loosing my connection every few seconds (within 10ft of the router) so i disabled it.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

BTW i have Comcast High Speed incase that matters. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
It all depends on which standard WI-FI you are using.

There is the IEEEE 802.11B which operates over the frequency range (2.4 GHz to 2.4835 GHz) and provides a throughput of up to 11 Mbps. This is a very commonly used frequency. Microwave ovens, cordless phones, medical and scientific equipment, as well as Bluetooth devices, all work within the 2.4 GHz frequency band.

There is also the IEEE 802.11An which operates in the 5GHZfrequency range (5.725 GHz to 5.850 GHz) with a maximum 54 Mbps data transfer rate. The 5 GHz frequency band is not as crowded as the 2.4 GHz frequency, because the 802.11a specification has more radio channels than the 802.11b. These extra channels can help avoid radio and microwave interference.

SO it lead me to beleive that you might have different WIFI routers using different standards.

ALso you might be coming into contact with outside radio interference.
Also depending on the radio strength of your router (cheaper ones have crappy range) you can expect to have a range of 10-45 feet.. or 75-100 feet in a typical house setting.

I

imported_admin

first off... you need enxryption.. unless you like people trying to hack you..and yes, there are people who drive around trying to hack wireless stuf...

second of all... different brands are different... I used to tell this to people all the time.. especially those who think..a card is a card.. and everything is the same... with the stuff I use, I can get about 900 feet outside my house, without my external antenna.. with it.. we are talking a lot further..

as far as tricks.. there are not... except put your router in a good spot.. move it around, there are lots of factors, that can cause signal drops... as far as your card...well.. I hate linksys.. now you know why...

John

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by BLK00GTP@Nov 25 2003, 10:28 AM
Does anyone know any tricks to help me get stronger signals.
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

:) They actually work quite well too... er so i've been told :D

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448 is the one I used for um... reasearching how to theoretically create such a device

And to echo the responses of others... DEFINETLY enable encryption and every security component your wireless router allows! And ... kinda a silly thing but make sure you change your Default logon from admin/admin :) (you'd be surprised how many people don't do that... there are 3 such networks in woodfield mall alone that if someone wanted to they could gain access to :p or so i've heard)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• B
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list