3800 If you think your car is hard to work on...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I just spent 11 hours changing a water pump on a '98 Dodge Intrepid. Take my advice, don't buy one of these - They suck. I had to take off the front facia and radiator just to get to the front of the engine. These things are front wheel drive, but not transverly mounted. I had to pull off all the accesories to get the timing chain cover off, then take off the timing chain, because that's what drives the WP. The thermostat is even more fun, because you have to pull the upper and lower manifold, and the fuel rails/injectors, and the TB. This car was recently worked on and the mechanic that did it marked the timing belt incorrectly on one of the overhead cams, so once I got it all back together it would't start. Had to tear it all down again and use the factory marks. Started on it at midnight, and found it wouldn't start at 5:30 am, so I said screw it and went to bed. Got out to the garage at 10am and just finished at 5pm. I took it for a drive and when I parked it, saw some smoke/steam so I thought it should be checked. Would't you know that the damn hood release cable snapped out of the latch and it took me nearly 1/2 hour just to get the hood open. I'd like to set fire to this total POS!

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It's the 3.2 DOHC in the ES version. I took it out for a spin to try and get it to overheat, I was surprised at how slow those things are. I've got a bunch of tools for getting hard to reach bolts out, and even with that most all the bolts were hard to get out. The main tensioner on the serpintine belt takes about 30-45 min to loosen alone. Crap I can do that on my GTP in like 30 seconds, and that includes finding the tools. Have you ever seen where they put the batteries on them? I'd imagine the motor would have to come out to change one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info