Front End Creaking/Popping Noise

L36 SS

Addict
Jul 11, 2008
Wheaton, IL
Whenever I accelerate quickly from a stop, go into reverse or turn, there is a creak or pop noise coming from the front. It has new GR2 struts with new strut mounts, GMPP sway bar and new end links, new control arms etc. It's a 02 Monte Carlo SS as well with the aluminum sub frame. Anyone ever experience a noise like this it's driving me crazy chasing down what it could be. Thanks in advance

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I've got a similar or the same issue and damn is it annoying! I've got a recently changed motor mount (6-7k ago)the trans mount is poly the upper dog bones aren't all that old (5k maybe?) either and I have poly blocks. I do have an axle that I think is shitting the bed and either a bad LF strut or upper mount, but I don't believe those to be the issue... I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully changing the axle soon and figuring out my strut/mount issue.

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
I have an 01 Impala, I had the same thing going on. When I had to swap the trans, I dropped the sub frame and found that the rear metal bushing spacer thing was broken in two. I replaced that and the sound went away, I'd drop the rear part of the sub frame and inspect those. Maybe you'll find the same thing happened with yours. :dunno:

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I have an 01 Impala, I had the same thing going on. When I had to swap the trans, I dropped the sub frame and found that the rear metal bushing spacer thing was broken in two. I replaced that and the sound went away, I'd drop the rear part of the sub frame and inspect those. Maybe you'll find the same thing happened with yours. :dunno:

Sounds like it could be possible. The rear of my subframe was dropped before to change the PS rack. Ill have to check that out on a two post rack.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Find monte carlo ss bushings if you can, they should be white they are firmer then the rest. Also you can reuse the bolts, I have planty of times with nothing happening.
they are torque to yield. it's risky and not worth it when the bolts themselves are cheap. i can't believe you'd gamble your safety or anyone else in your car for a few dollars :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
this is for an 04 with the tighter spec, tell me if that sounds like TTY

1. Loosely install the bolts to secure the front frame to the body.
  2. Align the frame to the body by inserting two 19 X 203 mm (0.74 X 8 in) pins in the alignment holes on the right side of the frame. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
  3. Install the front and rear frame bolts. Tighten the bolts to 180 N.m (133 lb ft).
  4. Install the drivetrain reinforcements using the following procedure:

1. Position the drivetrain reinforcements to the font cradle mount stud to the support brace.
  2. Loosely install the drivetrain reinforcement to support brace bolts.
  3. Install the drivetrain reinforcement to cradle mount nut.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info