3800 Best way to erase all Temp Files?

I

imported_admin

disk cleanup is the best way... DO NOT SEARCH FOR .TMP AND DELETE... unless you don't like your computer...if there is a system file that is in use.. that needed a tmp file... you will screw your machine up... doens't happen often.. but it does happen.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by staceyyearsich@Nov 21 2003, 08:41 AM
Does that actually get rid of them permentally or are they still traceable ? when u delete files and clear ur history in explorer?
well... technically unless you zero out the area occupied by the data it is traceable... but if you need to hide something that bad then you have bigger issues hehe

Geek talk

WHen a file is saved to your computers hard drive, it's saved physically on the drive, but in order to access it the OS creates a pointer in the file system that points to the area on the hard drive where the data actually exists... when you delete a file the OS removes this pointer but doesn't "0 out" the data, so if someone really wanted to find out what you've deleted recently they *may* (may because if another file has written over the space where the file was deleted then it'd be untraceable) be recoverable...

Some programs out there (I think Norton makes a proggy) will actually zero out (since data is stored as binary, 1s or 0s) the area physically occupied by the data (better programs will go through multiple times to eliminate any possibility of files gbeing recovered)

When you clear the history it doesn't delete a file but instead it modifies the system registry... so I'm not sure if that'd be recoverable (not sure how windows updates it... but I'm guessing they just remove pointers to the data, so it'd probably still be traceable unless it's zeroed out)

\Geek talk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info