3800 your thoughts on CAMs.......

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Just looking for some general info on cams. Hoping to get someone to chime in who ones a VS cam though.

When I finally get this installed what type of gains will I see? How will my car power be different? Way more top end, or just more power everywhere... etc....?
will this be a night and day difference?

Also, what does everyone think my next mod should be after I install my togs?

I was thinking of going to an IC first before a cam and smaller pulley.

Im starting to get worried about the enormous amounts of heat that will be generated and my stock pistons going bye-bye from so much heat :( :unsure:

I thought an IC would keep me a little safer a little longer then a cam. :(

any help would be nice. :)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Yeah, I got MIKERS tranny w 3.29 gears schedualed some time in between one of those major power adders :) ......just a matter of when.

I hope I at least get a warning b4 it goes POOF! :unsure:

Im predicting itll be sometime at WOT during the 3-1 downshift that ILL hear the dreaded SNAP, and no more power.

Then I just gota figure out how to get my car to MIKERS to fix it? :( :ph34r:

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by gtphale@Nov 18 2003, 01:24 AM
You will have the biggest smile on your face the first time you hit the gas.
More so than if I did an IC first?

How about the heat factor I was talking about? if I do a cam, im probley goign to runa a 3.0.....but that heats got me scared...so im thinking IC......

Then again, im at 76k but the cars runnin great. IM thinking it time for a timing chain soon at around 100k, so why not swap cams?..........

I dont know. Just confused over here. :blink: I do know one thing though, I cant really afford a trans or new pistons/connecting rods/bolts till I have a reall job starting next august.

So till then, I think i may just keep the 3.4 on with MAYBE an IC or VS CAM......

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
well if you don't goof with timing you will probably be ok.One thing is forsure ifyou do a cam start saving for the trans. IC will help your car run longer and better and then you can play with timing. Little safer then doing a cam,but then you will need to do a cam soon or else those f bodies will pull you on the top end.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by RoyalGTP+Nov 18 2003, 11:01 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RoyalGTP @ Nov 18 2003, 11:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-IDONTWANNA@Nov 18 2003, 05:23 AM
tranny should be first, or youll be walking for a long time...... ;)
hahah! :lol:

Funny......

Its just not as much fun buying a transmission as a cam or IC......

Those 3.29 gear2 should be pretty cool. That and not having to worry about my input shaft anymore. :( [/b][/quote]
3.29s with stall is GREAT!!!!!!!!!

If you havnt broken an I/S, you wont get it, cause you dont need it.. ;)

btw..4,000lbs sux to push!!!!!!!!!! :angry: thank goodness for other PONTIAC enthusiasts, at Midnight.. B)

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Dont worry about frying a piston.. you will being doing them a favor by flowing more air over them quicker. What is going to fry a piston is letting really hot exhaust gas sit on it, then heating it again with another powers storke, letting that sit on there, etc. A cam will let those hot exhaust gases get out of the combustion chamber faster, helping to keep things cooler, which allows you to run a smaller pulley. that is why a cam is so great on this car. You get the benefits of more flow, and get to put a smaller pulley on too.

BC

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I heard a shift kit will help your cluthces, but will put more strain on other parts when it grabs so hard and fast.

Someone told me and LSD can help a little too..? :blink:

He told me a while back its about $3300 for everything.....Stronger input and output shaft, raybestos HD clutches, higher stall tq converter, LSD, new chains, higher gearing like the 3.29 or 3.69.......maybe a few more thing too....

If you got an LSD already, its like 2700 bucks......

I thing im gettin that lsd first to soften the blow for me when i get hit up for a new trans. :(

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Nov 19 2003, 05:23 PM
damnit, well this sucks now, how much to have miker build me a trans that can handle 300-325 hp
my clutchs were the only good thing left in there. :eek:

all 4 gears, 2 lower, 2 upper were missing teeth off all 4 gears, the chain was history(falling apart), input shaft snapped in half, chain took out 2 other parts also, from all the slop.

thank goodness i was 1 block from my house. :rolleyes:

btw, my almost 2 year old (C-YA-RACING) diff was fine, with some wear to the clutchs. it was updated.

tranny kicks ass....3.29 single chain gearing, higher stall, hardened input shaft, revised shift kit, race clutchs(extra added to 1st, 2nd, 3rd), pcm programmed(dont forget to add this to the price, if you change gearing).

hope it dont rain sunday.. ;)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by IDONTWANNA+Nov 19 2003, 06:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (IDONTWANNA @ Nov 19 2003, 06:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BumpinGTP@Nov 19 2003, 05:23 PM
damnit, well this sucks now, how much to have miker build me a trans that can handle 300-325 hp
my clutchs were the only good thing left in there. :eek:

all 4 gears, 2 lower, 2 upper were missing teeth off all 4 gears, the chain was history(falling apart), input shaft snapped in half, chain took out 2 other parts also, from all the slop.

thank goodness i was 1 block from my house. :rolleyes:

btw, my almost 2 year old (C-YA-RACING) diff was fine, with some wear to the clutchs. it was updated.

tranny kicks ass....3.29 single chain gearing, higher stall, hardened input shaft, revised shift kit, race clutchs(extra added to 1st, 2nd, 3rd), pcm programmed(dont forget to add this to the price, if you change gearing).

hope it dont rain sunday.. ;) [/b][/quote]
How exactly does that work with the 3.29 gear and mikers trans wehn I gota DHP???

do I have to drive to charles with my stuff messed up, or, pay charles to go thier and do it, or, switch to a Cya pcm so miker can do it?????????

Did you notice better acceleration with the 3.29? HOw was you rpms and MPG after that?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info