Sub frame bolt keeps spinning

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
Swapping the trans in the Impala, got everything unplugged and unbolted and everything. I start working on the subframe bolts, get to the last one (pass side rear bolt) and it just spins. Anyone ever dealt with something like this?

282261_10152802519380594_535021694_n.jpg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I agree with RICH17...I have dropped the sub frame once and I will never do it again. I would see if someone could help get you a engine hoist or figure something out to get that hunk of metal out of the top. That is just my opinion though as I know some people drop the sub frames without much issue. Can you get anything in there to cut the bolt off? I have had to use a tiny hack saw to get into some stupid tight spots before.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
I agree with RICH17...I have dropped the sub frame once and I will never do it again. I would see if someone could help get you a engine hoist or figure something out to get that hunk of metal out of the top. That is just my opinion though as I know some people drop the sub frames without much issue. Can you get anything in there to cut the bolt off? I have had to use a tiny hack saw to get into some stupid tight spots before.

You can take the head off the bolt and try to feed the whole seized shit-show out, but I wouldn't suggest it. Usually when this happens, the hardware isn't too badly stuck, just corrosion eating away at things, then the force of torquing the bolt loose breaks the cage and/or it's welds loose. That's why I suggest Vice-grips, heat and an impact. The bolt should come out with some attention, making life a whole hell of a lot easier later.

I only wish I could say I haven't dealt with this is many times as I have... :dunno:

SuperDaveGSE

Hole Enlarger
May 14, 2009
Antioch,Il
Nope no way to get an engine hoist, I've dropped the trans out this way 4 times on my regal. This is the first time for the impala, shity thing is this impala has half the mileage as the regal did and half the rust. The regal was a rust bucket and yet gave me little to no problems getting things apart. I think I'm gonna try to cut the cage open and get to the bolt that way, then hopefully get it all back together then get the cage welded shut again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info